Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > So I'm at Lowes last night...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
lland

So I'm at Lowes last night...
Original Message   Jan 21, 2005 9:54 am
...buying curtain rods for the living room (just had it painted...in fact, we're having just about the whole house (inside) painted...I'd do it but I just don't have the time)  and on the way out, I hear another customer arguing with one of the employees.  He had just bought a new snowblower (Troy Bilt (MTD ) 8.5 HP, $798).  Apparently, the cashier had neglected to charge the $25.00 assembly fee which the Lowes Employee was attempting to recover.  The "discussion" went on for aboutt ten minutes until the customer finally cancelled the whole deal and walked out.

On the way out, I mentioned to him that (1) it was good that he didn't pay the assembly fee since it wasn't assembled correctly (or at least not adjusted).  The scraper bar was riding on the floor while the skid shoes were raised almost an inch.  With the first use, the scraper woudl have been ruined and the edges of the housing certinaly scraped up if not bent...and open to premature rusting, and (2) he'd probalby be better off with a dealer but with 10" to 16" of snow predicted for tomorrow (which meand I'll get to use the Toro again, bringing the cost down to about $333 per use), he wanted to take one home last night (9:00 P.M.) so (3) I sent him to Home Depot down the block and told him to get the Ariens 8526 as it's a better machine and with the current Home Depot promotion, about the same price.  Also, I happened to have a Lowes 10% new mover's coupon in my pocket which I gave to him (I printed an extra to use at HD), telling him HD would honor it.

I used to prefer Lowes to HD but at least at this particluar store, it seems that service is a thing of the past.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Re: So I'm at Lowes last night...
Reply #3   Jan 21, 2005 1:01 pm
I'd say you did the right thing LL.  He'll now have a premium machine instead of the MTD.  The local dealers were discounting their snowthrowers, but they are probably goin' very quick. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

jubol

Reply #4   Jan 21, 2005 4:31 pm

Hd, here in Dover, Delaware,  HD has the Ariens 1332 LE deluxe for $ 1316.00.

Not a bad price, but to much machine for Dover!!

Fred 

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #5   Jan 21, 2005 4:43 pm
terrapin24h wrote:
MM-
    i think the reason LL sent him to HD was because it's mid january and there's snow on the ground(and more coming).  IOW, there aren't any units left at local dealers.  I tried *desparately* to buy my 824 from a dealer(I went to 5 or 6 here locally, and called a few in buffalo), but none had any and they didn't know when they were going to get any.

OHHHHHHH, I seee.

Then Yes, He is much better with the HD. Ariens is superior product, and can always be re-adjusted once he brings it home.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
Termy

Reply #6   Jan 21, 2005 5:40 pm
Good Story. I bet lowes don't even understand why they get machines taken back all the time lol. I would have to say that everyone is better off with a dealer! When I bought my Stihl FS250R Trimmer, I bought it from a local dealer. Meaning if something goes seriously wrong with it (Which I doubt) and I can't fix it myself, I can send it to them and they will have it fixed within a week! I would not mind spending the few extra bucks to buy and service localy. Lowes is a joke. Have you ever seen the mowers they sell? L-Chepo LOL.

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #7   Jan 21, 2005 6:48 pm
jubol wrote:

Hd, here in Dover, Delaware,  HD has the Ariens 1332 LE deluxe for $ 1316.00.

Not a bad price, but to much machine for Dover!!

Fred 

WHAT?????!!!!  Oh man if I was independantly wealthy I would buy that machine in a heartbeat and resell it up here, heck, I keep that monster to scare the snow away lol....

Oh what they have sitting there......

Oh well......

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #8   Jan 21, 2005 7:04 pm
Hi Terminator,

Yeah, that's a shame people are buying from Lowes or HD and believe because they purchase assembly, they are getting a well assembled and adjusted snowblower.  That is what happens when an individual purchases a costly piece of OPE without doing appropriate research.  There is no excuse for that, thanks to the power of the internet.  Just think how many of these people would have had a much easier time of it, if they had found this forum first.  Even if they wanted to purchase from one of those stores to get a break on the price, and who wouldn't, at least they'd know what to expect ahead of time.    

Richie
Termy

Reply #9   Jan 21, 2005 7:56 pm
Totally agree! You can buy a snow blower from a dealer for $1200.00 and will be put together properly and had a run in, and you can be guranteed great service and support! As soon as you start shopping at the big stores, you forgo all of that! In our day of age, there are not many local retailers left. And that does worry me. I don't want to be stuck buying my parts online! I rather go to my local dealer and order threw them.

One time I bought a preasure washer from Home Depot and I spent $1000.00 for it. Well, I realised I was not going to get any service a support for it unless I found a Honda Dealer around here somwhere. But that did not matter to me because I was only going to use this preasure washer for a while and then sell it. I needed a presure washer for a while with a very high preasure rate to do heavy duty jobs. But once I was done, was not going to use it anymore. Renting would have cost me alot of money too. See this way, I sold the preasure washer for $1000.00 dollars minus tax. I would have spent way over 100 to rent one of this type for that long! But I digress.

I believe in supporting my local dealer no matter what I buy. I believe that buy supporting them, I am actually helping them stay alive. We don't want to let our service dealers die out!

newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #10   Jan 22, 2005 6:55 pm
There is a point that you have to consider the money. The Ariens 8526LE lists for $1150 but HD is selling it for $750 and if you have a 10% coupon the price is $675 and if you buy it in Delaware, you save even more. No tax. You just have to be handy and put it together CORRECTLY yourself.  

Another thing, in North Jersey they use a lot of cheap (South of the border) help at my OPE. My 2 SBs that I purchased from my local OPE needed some minor tweeking after they were assembled and serviced. I watched them assemble 2 Ariens machines. They assembled them blower mouth down on concrete. I would not buy either one after the damage they caused to the paint.  Cheap help is not cheap sometimes and sometimes you are better off doing the job yourself.  

Termy

Reply #11   Jan 22, 2005 7:05 pm
newjerseybt wrote:

Cheap help is not cheap sometimes and sometimes you are better off doing the job yourself.  

I totaly agree! In our day of age, people don't care about you, only themselves. So, if we want something done right, we have to do it ourselves. For instance... The local dealer I go to is family run. However, there youngest sun, does crappy jobs putting things together. But, his dad and others do a great job. So, if I need any service done, I request that one of them do it besides his sun.

Dave

Craftsman 88799

Reply #12   Jan 22, 2005 7:14 pm
LL, I see your point, but even with an assembled machine the user should adjust the skid shoes and scaper bar to their conditions before the first use. That was good advice steering him toward the Ariens.
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42