Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > snowblowers measured in hp vs.cc

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mcvanin1

snowblowers measured in hp vs.cc
Original Message   Aug 3, 2009 8:17 pm
Ariens has two snowblowers I am considering, the 624E (which is 6HP) and the ST24E (which is 249cc). There is about $100 difference in the price, but no one seems to be able to tell me how the power compares.The conversion tables are really no help (saying the 15-17 cc= 1 hp....but that means that the 249cc = about 15 1/2 HP which it can't be)Is Ariens worth the premium price?
This message was modified Aug 3, 2009 by mcvanin1
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
oakville

Re: snowblowers measured in hp vs.cc
Reply #1   Aug 5, 2009 1:36 pm
many mfgs/models are not being rated in HP anymore, but in displacement (cc) or lbs-ft of torque (idiots call them torques), as the hp ratings were often screwed with.  i believe the federal trade commission (us) or the related canadian agency had something to say on the matter.  look up the spec for the units you're looking at, and if the displacement is the same, the power should be too.

a quick google search showed the 624 having a 195cc tecumseh L head and the st24E with a 249cc briggs.

looks like the 624 is the older model (now discontinued) and the st24e is the current model (the "deluxe 24") - http://www.ariens.com/products_snow/s_deluxe_group/s_deluxe_24/pages/default.aspx

i think the st24e would be worth the extra $100 easily just for being a current model, but the extra power will be worthwhile.  i have a 9hp 26", and don't think i'd be happy with a third less hp.

mcvanin1

Reply #2   Aug 9, 2009 10:45 pm
thanks, but most of what you've written is over my head...I am not a mechanic, just a home owner.

the bottom line, I think is that the 624 model 6HP is equal to 195cc and the st24E has 249cc?

is ariens worth the premium price over other blowers?
nibbler

Reply #3   Aug 10, 2009 1:52 pm
Sounds like you need to read some of the previous posts to get background in what oakville was saying. Mechanics go into much more detail.

The short answer is that the bigger the cc the more powerful the engine. Tecumseh "L" head has been a workhorse engine for years, the Briggs OHV is relatively new but has had very good reports ( I'm happy with mine).

"Is it worth it" is too general a question, what I consider a good thing you might not be interested in. That means you ultimately make your own determination. However if you want members of this forum to spend time answering your question you need to post details of your situation. There are already postings on what info is needed so do a search and get back to us.

Ariens has a very good reputation with many of the forum members however there are others that think other brands vie more bang for the buck.
mech12

Reply #4   Aug 20, 2009 9:22 am
   one word        TORO    we used to be a service center for ariens some time ago   without getting into alot of stuff,  we no longer carry ariens  and now are a full warranty sales and service center for toro/lawnboy.....  as a mechanic   all these basic snowblowers have the identical drive systems in them.  
nhmatt

Reply #5   Sep 17, 2009 9:43 pm
Ditto on the "have the same drive systems". I would avoid the Tecumseh Snow King. Personally, I think they suck. Loud fuel burners that cook the oil. An OHV is quieter and will save you gas. B+S isn't even putting their best engines on these snowblowers, and what you get is still a major improvement over the 30yr old engines of yesterday.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42