Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > HD ad

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

HD ad
Original Message   Jan 20, 2005 3:25 pm
A Home Despot ad came with my newspaper today saying "10-25% off all snow throwers".  While running my errands, decided to stop in at my local HD to see what they were offering (Holland, OH). Turns out they had many Toro electric power shovels, two Toro 3650's still in the box (**all assembly required**), and one Yard Man 10.5 hp 2 stage (just like the one pictured in the ad). Nothing else that I could see. This Yard Man had a chute control that didn't work, and a chute that really was PLASTIC. Understand, I'm not knocking the Yard Man. It might be perfectly fine for an average winter in, say...San Diego. But this would be the wrong machine to buy if you lived in Buffalo, Bangor or Boston. It was only $100 less that the Toro 726 I purchased a year and half ago.

Moral of the story: Shop the Depot and the other big box stores if you wish, but don't neglect your local dealer. Any Simplicity, Ariens, Toro or Honda would run rings around the Yard Man machine I saw today, and last a lot longer.  My $.02 .

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Re: HD ad
Reply #4   Jan 20, 2005 9:02 pm
The HD in Concord NH like two or three weeks ago on Loudin Road was loaded with snowblowers of all shapes sizes and brands except the lowest priced ones.  I was in the area today but was tired and wanted to get home but I wish I had stopped by now to see what they had left.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #5   Jan 20, 2005 10:21 pm
I too like supporting the local guy. Unfortunate for me; I had "purchased" a 3650 from my local dealer where I get my Deere parts, and he tagged it with my name and "sold". Long story short, I told him that I was coming in on a specific Saturday to pick it up. When I got there he told me they had no more electric starts left (which is the one I bought). I told him that mine was tagged so it should be there. As it turned out another salesman cut my tag off and sold it to some else that morning. Hence, I REALLY didn't want to go to Depot, and I also had no choice. Although the 3650 from Depot had to be assembled, it was only 3 screws for the chute, two knobs/bolts for the handle, and two bolts for the chute adjustment shaft. Toro did do a good job of making it easy so it only took about 15 minutes to assemble. I have been back to see my dealer since and we re-hashed it with no hard feelings. He also sent me home with a $25.00 JD tractor for my older son. We each know we will see each other again. Walt
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #6   Jan 21, 2005 10:13 am
Dave___in___CT wrote:
Got the same ad here too...

Dunno' what blowers are left at the local Depot...

Dave...

Hey Dave, our local HD had  plentyof 8hp and 11HP Ariens models, the small Honda 4 stoke single stages, and a few Toro's. But with the storm predidtion, this might do it for the season as far as having anything left after today.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #7   Jan 22, 2005 4:43 pm
I had to stop at HD this morning and it was a riot. Snow blowers were flying out the door. People were actually gaurding units until they got paid for and out the door. That was about 10 AM. The snow started about noon. About 7 inches out there now, and still coming down heavy. Should be a fun day tomorrow.
                                                                                                                         Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #8   Jan 22, 2005 4:47 pm
Vangellis wrote:
I had to stop at HD this morning and it was a riot. Snow blowers were flying out the door. People were actually gaurding units until they got paid for and out the door.

LOL...Just gotta love it.....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
jubol

Reply #9   Jan 22, 2005 4:54 pm

That is why my friend went to HD at 7 AM, beat the crowd and buy a Ariens 1332LE for $1316.00!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #10   Jan 22, 2005 5:50 pm
The crowds...

Ahhh... yessss...

Wait  'til the last possible day to get what you shouda' gotten months ago...  

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

solara

Reply #11   Jan 22, 2005 8:17 pm
watertown  MA was also a zoo.  with the sale and the storm they sold everything.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Termy

Reply #12   Jan 22, 2005 8:19 pm
Advice from Terminator20 for year 2005.

When buying new OPE this year, please buy from and support your local dealer. You will be glad you did.

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #13   Jan 22, 2005 8:40 pm
I wouldn't worry too much about HD or Lowes having snowblowers during this coming week.  Seeing how poorly they were assembled on the floor models, says it all.  I have no doubt a good percentage of them will be returned Monday morning after the storm because they failed for one reason or another.  Individuals may also assume that this is the one and only storm we'll get this year, which is a mistake.  If you're still sitting on the fence trying to decide if you want a new snowblower, I'm sure some really good deals will come up this week on slighly used machines, unless HD and Lowes have to return them to the manufacturer.  My neighbors laughed at me when I was testing my new snowblower during the last week of September, especially when I had to drive it up and down the driveway to check that the scraper wasn't going to impact any high areas.  Well, I know who is laughing now.

Richie
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42