Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Throttle cable stiff

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Throttle cable stiff
Original Message   Jan 20, 2005 12:19 pm
Hi Gang. Yesterday after repairing my recoil starter, I decided to give the old JD 726 a test run and get it ready for the suppossed "snow event"  coming Saturday. It was about 5 degrees out, with the low during the night at about - 5 degrees. Things are going to be stiff at those temps. I don't remember my throttle doing this last year, but at first it was practically stuck. I was able to keep working it to where I could use it, but it still wouldn't hit top speed. It just doesn't seem to want to move well within the metal coiled casing. Is there something I can spray on it to loosen it up. Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks,  Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
JohnEDavies

Re: Throttle cable stiff
Reply #1   Jan 20, 2005 12:42 pm
I would try a penetrating oil. Let it soak and then work the cable back and forth to free it up. If that doesn't help just get another cable - they are cheap and easy to install.

John

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #2   Jan 20, 2005 2:05 pm
Hi...

Could be frozen water in the cable... can the machine be brought into a warm area (garage) to thaw...?

Once thawed... try spraying WD-40 on the entire cable and moving parts...  and work it...
Look for kinks/bends too... and adjustments...

Then maybe follow up with a synthetic spray lubricant...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Vangellis

Reply #3   Jan 20, 2005 2:41 pm
Thanks for the tips John and Dave. I'll give these a shot tomorrow. It's off to the couch. 3rd shift comes quick.  LOL

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Termy

Reply #4   Jan 20, 2005 3:04 pm
I agree with Dave. If penetrating oil does not work, then you could try lithum oil.

terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #5   Jan 20, 2005 3:15 pm
Prob wouldn't hurt to pick up some kroil from somehwere and drip some in the end of the cable up top and then let it work its magic.  In my humble experience, nothing work better than kroil to unstick the stuck.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Majorxlr8n

Reply #6   Jan 20, 2005 11:33 pm
terrapin24h wrote:
Prob wouldn't hurt to pick up some kroil from somehwere and drip some in the end of the cable up top and then let it work its magic.  In my humble experience, nothing work better than kroil to unstick the stuck.

Kevin - definitely use Kroil (as Terrapin mentioned) or PB Blaster to free up this cable. Work it back & forth while spraying to help it slither down the cable jacketing.

Marty

18Degrees

Reply #7   Jan 21, 2005 12:13 am
Kevin- it would be best of you could bring the machine into the living room to work on while watching the playoffs. The heat form the TV does wonders.(Cover it with the sofa throw blanket so the wife does not know there is equipment in the house )......                   

18Degrees

This message was modified Jan 21, 2005 by 18Degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
Vangellis

Reply #8   Jan 21, 2005 11:12 am
18Degrees wrote:
Kevin- it would be best of you could bring the machine into the living room to work on while watching the playoffs. The heat form the TV does wonders.(Cover it with the sofa throw blanket so the wife does not know there is equipment in the house )......                   

18Degrees

18 Deg....Do I know You?   LOL
The shed is unheated and I actually thought of bringing it into the newly (1yr now) remodeled basement through the Patio doors. Yeah, I could throw my Giants blanket over it.  LOL

As far as the Kroil gentlemen, Is that readily available, or is it hard to find.

Thanks,   Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #9   Jan 21, 2005 12:53 pm
PB Blaster should be quicker to find, but how about regular motor oil?

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42