Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Project - successs story

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
newtonian

Ariens Project - successs story
Original Message   Jan 19, 2005 11:48 pm
Original post: 

Putting a new old stock  HSK70 engine on what looks like a 1969 Ariens 7HP that had a H70 engine.  Any advice appreciated.  Looks clean and simple,  is it?
This message was modified Jan 20, 2005 by newtonian

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
nibbler

Re: Ariens Project - words of wisdom welcome
Reply #1   Jan 20, 2005 12:39 pm
Points to watch for

1. Output shaft diameters change depending on the horsepower. You may have to get new pulleys.

2. Connector for alternator may be differnt. Getting the light to work may need some fiddling.

3. Mounting bolt pattern may be different. If so you will need a new mounting plate.

4 Output shaft height may be different. If so then the mounting plate thickness may need to change or use different belts.

Good luck
newtonian

Re: Ariens Project Finished with Success!
Reply #2   Jan 20, 2005 10:00 pm
This engine's hardly been used.  The carb bowl actually had a rust hole in it, the gas cap broke like powder when I went to look inside the tank and I replaced the cap with one that was around.   One of the straps for the tank broke shortly after this picture was taken from handling.  The snowblower looks worse than the engine, but that'll be taken care of in the spring.

I picked up a "new old stock" engine on Ebay and have this 1969 snowblower running perfectly.  Took two hours to change the engine over.  Transferred the pulley (half the time was spent getting it off the old engine),  got a new belt and had to bend the throttle lever a tad so it'd clear the chute rod.  That was it.  This is a H70, replacement is HSK70.

Now I'm feeling right at home with a family of three snowblowers.

Old H70 - from an Ariens snowblower that was used I'm told a few hours one season!

HSK70 NOS replacement engine   Date code 4526D
This message was modified Jan 20, 2005 by newtonian

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Ariens Project - successs story
Reply #3   Jan 20, 2005 10:15 pm
Good, you got your pics posted again.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Re: Ariens Project - successs story
Reply #4   Jan 21, 2005 11:25 am
A new heart for old iron...

It's a beautiful thing !   

Nice job !

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42