Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 926DLE exhaust blows in operators face.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JohnEDavies

Ariens 926DLE exhaust blows in operators face.
Original Message   Jan 19, 2005 11:13 am
I posted my initial concerns in this post, which since then seems to have lost some replies(?):

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/2187-0-1.html

Anyway, Ariens has not been very responsive, answering only one of my two emails - saying only that the exhaust needs to blow out the side and they will have their engineering dept "look into" my concerns. I suspect they don't have much desire to modify the standard crate engine they install in their machines that have differential pins in the left wheels. Maybe they expect us to shut off the engine prior to engaging the lock? And prior to disengaging it?

If you care to rattle their cage, feel free to contact them here. Please use this form since it provides spaces to list your model/ serial number and other info.

http://www.ariens.com/customer_service/contact_us/

John

This message was modified Jan 19, 2005 by JohnEDavies
Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Re: Ariens 926DLE exhaust blows in operators face.
Reply #6   Jan 19, 2005 7:35 pm
I wonder if something like this could be set up for a Tecumseh?

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #7   Jan 19, 2005 8:11 pm
Hahahaha! That should do it! 
robmints

Reply #8   Jan 19, 2005 8:21 pm
John,

It might help if you don't want to shut it down, to throttle it back to idle.

Is there some reason you can't give it the Ron Popeil, just set it and forget it?
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #9   Jan 20, 2005 7:15 am
My 1332DLE has the same set up, but I personally do not have a big problem with it.
As Mang and Robmints suggested, one can do the following;

1) decide before you blow which way you want to use it, I've been under the impression that with the traction control on, you have the best of both worlds.....easier turning and power going to either wheel, as needed. I have kept mine this way with no problem. If I wanted "pin lock" I would have paid hundreds less and got an "LE".

2) I never thought this was an option you changed back and forth when using the unit.

3) If I needed to change this in the middle of a blowing job, I could either turn it off and restart it, or like Rob said, lower the throttle to lessen the fumes, take a big breath, try to stay on one side or another, and turn the knob................or just turn the thing off..............or decide ahead of time which way I want to use it.

This thread has gotten me wondering how mine would work in the pin lock...I may just try it for fun.

I think Ariens response may be less than aggressive because they would not want people change the knob and keep the unit running..........it's a lawyer thing.....

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
JohnEDavies

Reply #10   Jan 20, 2005 12:07 pm
Let me clarify a few things.

I am quite capable of adding a little sheet metal deflector and will probably do so. The main point of my post is that Ariens is producing machines with what I consider to be a safety/ health hazard that would be dead easy for them to correct.

Anyone who hasn't driven one of these Pro machines needs to back off on offering operating advice, please. The diff pin is readily reached by simply leaning down from the normal operating position without shifting your feet or letting go of the right grip. If Ariens intends owners to shut down the engine prior to operating the diff lock, they should have engineered it so that it could not be reached from the handlebars. BTW there is nothing in the owner's manual about shutting down the engine prior to working the diff lock.

The diff lock is useful for OED when there is a slick ice layer over the street surface. I like to leave the diff open until I can't get traction, then I reach down and lock the axle to get the heavy EOD blown. Then I unlock it for maneuvering. I also use it for climbing a steep hill beside my house after I have cleared the back yard. I don't see anything wrong with this approach. I certainly don't want to shut down the engine and restart it for each pass, esp when I am standing on ice.

I would be happiest if Ariens decided to give me a little do-hickey, but if they don't, I'll come up with something and post a pic..

Later. John

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #11   Jan 20, 2005 12:24 pm
John, I think they were just trying to offer advice on how to alleviate the problem. As far as I know, this is the first time I remember this ever being brought up, not to say that it's not an issue but, evidently a lot of folks are not finding it a problem so far or are working around it?
jubol

Reply #12   Jan 20, 2005 12:47 pm
  JohnE

I do not know of any 2 stage snow blower (thrower), where the exhaust is not blowing to the left of the operator.

At least I have never seen one. 

Have you?

Fred 

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #13   Jan 20, 2005 1:13 pm
I have the 926 DLE, and had exhaust blow into my hair when changing the differential.  I always walked straight to the back of the auger housing, then bent down.  That way I was a far from the exhaust as possible.  I never thought about changing the differential from the operators position.  If I did that I would bend down, maybe get on my hands and knees to avoid the exhaust.  I don't know if it would hurt the engine not to let the exhaust freely flow from the engine or not.  Myself, I'd just rather have it the way it came from factory.  That's probably the best.  You might want to check if you'd void the warranty if you put on a deflector.     

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Torch

Reply #14   Jan 20, 2005 2:01 pm
I was going to make the same point as Ajace.  I don't know of any company that will support you with warranty service if you modify the equipment at all.  Especially welding to it.  Heat from welding may not, but can cause problems.  My company designs and manufactures heavy equipment for the railroad industry as well as overhead cranes.  Customers want modifications, but don't want to pay for them so they modify the equipment themselves.  They either distort the material or cause an inteference problem, but more importantly a safety issue.  But sounds like you would only tack weld anyway in this case.  It would be a good thing if they would come up with something to alleviate the problem, or at least give you some kind of letter or release, giving you the green light to modify it while maintaining the warranty.

James

faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #15   Jan 20, 2005 3:14 pm
Dear John,
I do understand your thread here, and admit, have experienced the same thing. You make valid points.
One wonders why perhaps Ariens could not make that knob on the other side.......but what do I know?
Maybe they do south of the equator........

I've never tried having both wheels locked on my new Ariens....I plan to sometime soon.

I also admit that my new Ariens sometimes does slip on icy patches, and it takes a second or two of slipping for it to change to the other wheel, (I think)...I've noticed that when one wheel starts slipping, a second or two later the other wheel starts slipping....

I think I will soon add a front weight kit and snow cab........perhaps that may make a difference. I tried my friends snow cab, and out here in the country, it wil be a welcome addition I think.

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42