Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Aluminum Gear Case

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Ariens Aluminum Gear Case
Original Message   Jan 19, 2005 8:48 am
I posted this on GardenWeb a few days ago, without much success.  Perhaps someone here can offer some advice:

I am trying to get the Aluminum gear case halves apart on my late 80s ST824. The halves are not sealed together (all bolts securing the halves together are removed), but there seems to be something internal holding the case together.  I am not trying too hard, because the aluminum doesn't seem too robust, but there is definitely some resistance.
I remember something about driving out a pin through a drain or fill hole, but I can't see it yet.
Any ideas for direction?
Thanks in advance. At the rate I'm going, I might even be able to use this spare SnoThro this season.
Ralph

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Re: Ariens Aluminum Gear Case
Reply #1   Jan 19, 2005 9:03 am
What is the model number that goes along with the ST824? Do you have a parts diagram for that model? If not go to Parts Radar at the Ariens web page and see if their expoded parts diagram helps. You will want to find the model number to narrow it down as I saw 2 or three ST824s listed. I didn't look to see if their parts appeared to be different between the models listed.
This message was modified Jan 19, 2005 by Jonathan

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #2   Jan 19, 2005 11:17 am
Also Firepaw was great at posting blow ups of blowers but has not made the move from the old forum yet that I can tell.  Also Snowmann is Paul Koltz who is an Ariens engineer of snowblowers (I think he might be lead man now?) and he stops in to read posts but has not been by in a few days.  I would start with Jonathan's idea first though.  Also is there a dealer near by you can talk to?

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
skyking3

Reply #3   Jan 19, 2005 6:40 pm
hi ralph,

if there are any ,did you remove the line-up pins that are on the flanges of the 2 halves ? they sometimes are stubborn to remove. the tranny on my tractor has aluminum halves and just lightly tapping on the pins with a punch loosened them enough to seperate.

just a thought,

bill

Snowmann

Reply #4   Jan 20, 2005 12:23 am
It's most likely only the anaerobic sealant holding the halves together (if there's no fibrous gasket between the halves). I don't recall us ever having "line-up" pins. If you can give me your model number and serial number I can check for sure.

PK

jubol

Reply #5   Jan 20, 2005 6:37 am
 RalphS,

Snowman is the lead engineer from Ariens. If any one knows, he does!!

Fred 

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #6   Jan 20, 2005 6:10 pm
After a little more gentle prying and "stuck gasket" hint from snowman, the halves are now separate.  At first look, the gears appear OK, although it is really messy with the case lube nice and thick at 10 degrees F. 

I found what I think are two followers ( round steel "buttons") inside  the case. 

When I clean it up a little more I will have a better idea as to why the augers and impeller rotated independently.  The original owner didn't perform much maintenance and the augers rusted onto the shaft (so much for shear pins).  I have only removed one auger so far, and that one was pretty tight. I suspect that something may have sheared inside the case but I will know soon. 

This SnoThro is a late 80s ST824 with the paint peeling off in sheets, unfortunately lots of the paint and model number / serial number label are long gone.   Any info as to the m/n of this auger assy would be helpful, that way I can go to the Parts Radar and see what parts I may be missing. 

Thanks again to all for your suggestions. 

Ralph 

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #7   Jan 20, 2005 8:10 pm
Ralph that late 80's ST is built like the Pro's of today if I am not mistaken.  It would be great if you can fix it up.....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42