Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Is the Lowe's version of Husqvarna. a knock off? Also, help with different engine types ...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
david_in_MA

Is the Lowe's version of Husqvarna. a knock off? Also, help with different engine types ...
Original Message   Mar 1, 2009 3:24 pm
I spoke with a Husqvarna dealer, who stated Lowe's carries knock off Husqvarna tractors, does anyone know for sure this is correct?????  Please help.

I found out from a Husqvarna dealer that there are three types of engines: Kawasacki, Kohler, and Briggs & Stratton.  I cannot find a Kawasacki engine at all (from Lowes) so which engine between Kohler and Briggs & Stratton is better?

This message was modified Mar 3, 2009 by david_in_MA
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
ajallen

Re: Is the Lowe's version of Husqvarna. a knock off?
Reply #1   Mar 1, 2009 3:35 pm
That dealer is full of it. The Husqvarna product that Lowes has is the same as a dealer could get. The Dealer can get the full line Lowes only carries a small part of the Husqvarna line.

AJ

david_in_MA

Reply #2   Mar 1, 2009 4:30 pm
When I talked to the Husqvarna dealer, he stated because Lowe's has a model # with an extra letter, that is why he believes it is a knock off.  I am looking at model # YTH23K48 at Lowe's but it seems that when you go to the Husqvarna website they have it listed as model # YTH2348 without the K.
ajallen

Reply #3   Mar 1, 2009 7:05 pm
The "K" just means that it has a Kohler engine.

AJ

pvrp

Reply #4   Mar 1, 2009 10:00 pm
ajallen wrote:
The "K" just means that it has a Kohler engine.

:-)  I never believe anything said by a salesperson, anywhere.  They may be right
but I'll always find out on my own.  I hear the craziest things from all sorts of
people who have this unfortunate belief that a salesperson has their interests
at heart, and take as fact whatever a salesperson says.

Paul
david_in_MA

Reply #5   Mar 3, 2009 10:19 pm
I found out from a Husqvarna dealer that there are three types of engines: Kawasacki, Kohler, and Briggs & Stratton.  I cannot find a Kawasacki engine at all (from Lowes) so which engine between Kohler and Briggs & Stratton is better?
ajallen

Re: Is the Lowe's version of Husqvarna. a knock off? Also, help with different engine types ...
Reply #6   Mar 3, 2009 11:26 pm
They are both very good engines. I would buy the one that the dealer has!

AJ

david_in_MA

Re: Is the Lowe's version of Husqvarna. a knock off? Also, help with different engine types ...
Reply #7   Mar 4, 2009 7:30 am
is there a difference between the two engines? Kohler and Briggs & Stratton.

why would they have 3 different types of engines? does it have anything to do with the price?

longboat

Reply #8   Mar 4, 2009 9:27 am
The Husqvarnas are the same at the Big Box stores as they are at the dealers.  Here is the difference:  The Big Box stores generally has their machines assembled by stock clerks who probably know next-to-nothing about snowblowers, whereas the machines at the OPE dealer are assembled by someone who (hopefully) knows them inside and out.  So, you can save a few hundred dollars by buying at the Big Box stores, then if you are mechanically inclined, you can re-assemble the machine, or you can wait until it breaks and then take it back to the Big Box store (oh wait, you can't do that, you have to take it to the OPE dealer that you shunned in the first place).   Sometimes the machines won't even work when you get them home from the Big Box store, so you have to take them back anyway, then the Big Box store has to sell them even cheaper since they are "used" or "open box".  More often, the machine from the Big Box stores works just OK, but not as well as it should because it wasn't adjusted properly, so the average user is quite frustrated with the machine but doesn't really know why.

Long story short, if you don't think you could re-build the machine yourself, save yourself a few hundred dollars worth of headaches and purchase from the OPE dealer.

Also, when you get to higher-end equipment, only the dealer carries the good stuff.  For example, the Cub Cadet stuff at the Big Box stores is made by MTD and is relatively low quality.  However, you can go to the Cub Cadet dealer and purchase a higher-end model that is still made to Cub Cadet's original high-quality standards.  Same can be said for John Deere tractors.  Cheap ones are available at both the dealer and the Big Box stores; however, only the dealer gets the good higher-end models.

Not much difference in the engines.  A good B&S is better than a cheap Kohler and a good Kohler is better than a cheap B&S.  Kawasaki is better than both, but also more expensive, which is why you don't find them at the Big Box stores.  You get what you pay for.  The cheaper engines are mfr'd. in China. 

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42