Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > clearing down to bare tar

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mattg1970

clearing down to bare tar
Original Message   Jan 17, 2005 7:46 pm
Hi, I am kinda new to snowblowers and I want to know if it is normal for a blower to leave a thin layer of snow on a smooth tar driveway? All the info i have seen on height adjustments is about 1/8 inch > I set my blower at this height and it does a great job with the snow but it leaves a thin layer of snow to top of the driveway. Is this normal?
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
TheKneebiter

Re: clearing down to bare tar
Reply #1   Jan 17, 2005 8:00 pm
yes, that is normal. you could raise the skid shoes so the scraper bar scrapes down to tar but the bar will wear out quicker. they are not to expensive to replace so if you want it down that will work just make sure you check the bar once in a while to make sure it does not wear to far.

Gilsons

Let it snow, in southern Maine

Reply #2   Jan 17, 2005 9:51 pm
It's best to be at least 1/8 (use paint sticks under the bar when setting skids) above the pavement with the surface, this is for pristine pavement. Consider increasing to as much as 3/4 inch on gravel. If you can't wait for the sun to clean up the rest consider one of those wide snow pushers. Many are 3 feet wide and they clean very well. If you pick too much up you can forn a win row and toss that with the blower.

Pete
This message was modified Jan 18, 2005 by Gilsons

sawme

1Thess 4: 11-12

Reply #3   Jan 17, 2005 10:18 pm

I agree with Pete.  A two stage blower IMHO shouldn't scrape the ground although that is what the 3rd setting on the Hondas are for .

It works great till you hit a crack in the driveway or sidewalk . I tore a peice out of the Snapper blower we have at work two years ago because the skids were set too high and the scraper too low. It was a very sudden stop from fourth gear.

Tom

Stihl 036/MS-55 YB /Homelite Trimmer/ Troy-Bilt Tiller/ MTD Rider/ Honda HS1132TA
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42