Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How Much?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
PaulR

Browns, Cavs, Indians...just wait till next year!

How Much?
Original Message   Jan 16, 2005 1:50 pm
I loaned my 5 year old Husqvarna 136 chainsaw to one of my area managers at work as he had just moved into town from Michigan, and need to cut down a few trees.  He had the saw for a while and admitted to abusing it a bit, but stated he would pay for the damage he did to it.  I took it to a local dealer in Chardon, Ohio and their quote to fix the saw was $10 less than what it costs new.  My wife feels that this guy owes me the entire amount necessary to fix or replace the saw;  I said that since it's a mechanical object with a certain lifespan, that I would be kind and take the depreciation on it and only ask for around $100 to put towards a new saw.

Am I being too easy on this guy, or should I make him pay for 100% of the repair/replacement cost?  I can see my wife's point, why should I have to pay any money when I started the entire interaction with a completely good chainsaw.

Thanks

John Deere GT 225 and 2305

Husqvarna 340

Honda UMK432LTA Trimmer

Bombardier Outlander 400XT

Briggs & Stratton Powerwasher to clean them all with.

Replies: 5 - 14 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Re: How Much?
Reply #5   Jan 16, 2005 5:12 pm
HI...

Yeah... these can be difficult situations...

Show him what the repair bill is... the cost of a new one...
Then... ask what he thinks is fair...

At the minimum... I'd put a value on the used saw to me... and ask for this amount... and give him the used one...

Who knows if the saw was about to $hit-the-bed anyway...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

krislu

Reply #6   Jan 16, 2005 5:20 pm
I NEVER loan equipment, NEVER!!!  I learned that lesson years ago. It created more problems.  My family and friends no better than to ask me. If they have a problem I would do it for them before lending to them.   If it were me I would buy you a new one if I borrowed it but I would say to you get what you can to still keep your friendship. I have alot of people who try to barter with me but they usually have nothing to barter with has been my experience. - Good luck - Kris

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #7   Jan 17, 2005 1:40 pm
I agree with Krislu and it always seems to be the chainsaw. I loaned a Poulan to my neighbor and got it back seized.It made for a very uncomfotable situation and from then on I don't loan anything out. I'll do the job when asked but no using my equiptment!!!

Marc

This message was modified Jan 17, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #8   Jan 17, 2005 2:05 pm
As of recent, i have made a policy that if one of my tools goes, i go with it.  I will never loan to friends, or neighbors(my ryobi charger came back with a cooked resistor and a blown fuse, fortunately i know how to read a circuit board).  I will always loan to family- cuz family is family.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Emmo

Reply #9   Jan 17, 2005 2:24 pm
terrapin24h wrote:
As of recent, i have made a policy that if one of my tools goes, i go with it.  I will never loan to friends, or neighbors(my ryobi charger came back with a cooked resistor and a blown fuse, fortunately i know how to read a circuit board).  I will always loan to family- cuz family is family.

I do the same thing, except I now include family.  Found out my chain saw had been used for some subaquatic tree removal.  It was used to remove some downed trees that were somewhat submerged in the creek.   They complained that the saw lost power when you put the bar under water!!

Now I go where EVER my tools go!
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #10   Jan 17, 2005 2:37 pm
I usually have spare LOANER equipment, But if my Front line equipment goes out, i go with it.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #11   Jan 17, 2005 2:37 pm
"Never a borrower nor lender be."

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #12   Jan 17, 2005 2:57 pm
Hi Marc,

Yeah, the person most likely ran out of fuel and added straight fuel to it rather than mixed.  It really is the chain saw that friends want to borrow. I lent mine out twice and would never do it again.  Although I was lucky, I only got mine back both times with a totally dull blade.  They'd always allow it to hit the ground when cutting logs.  Never do I lend anything out now. 

Richie
jogo

Reply #13   Jan 17, 2005 3:36 pm
Kick his ass, and when you ar done "admit" to abusing him a bit!

Then go buy a new one and NEVER lend it out. Like the others say, go with it. I will cut trees down for people, power wash stuff for them, snow blow for them, but I won't lend the stuff out.

Red Max EB78001 blower
Echo PB1000 blower
Sears ? blower
Sears 16" chainsaw
John Deere STX38
Murray 21" push mower
Echo SRM1501 weed wacker
Excell/Honda pressure washer
Ariens 11528
sawme

1Thess 4: 11-12

Reply #14   Jan 17, 2005 10:04 pm

I never loan or borrow anything that I can't afford to replace. My boss wanted to borrow my 1132TA. I asked to hold the title to his truck till he brought it back.  He hasn't asked since..

Tom

Stihl 036/MS-55 YB /Homelite Trimmer/ Troy-Bilt Tiller/ MTD Rider/ Honda HS1132TA
Replies: 5 - 14 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42