Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How Much?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
PaulR

Browns, Cavs, Indians...just wait till next year!

How Much?
Original Message   Jan 16, 2005 1:50 pm
I loaned my 5 year old Husqvarna 136 chainsaw to one of my area managers at work as he had just moved into town from Michigan, and need to cut down a few trees.  He had the saw for a while and admitted to abusing it a bit, but stated he would pay for the damage he did to it.  I took it to a local dealer in Chardon, Ohio and their quote to fix the saw was $10 less than what it costs new.  My wife feels that this guy owes me the entire amount necessary to fix or replace the saw;  I said that since it's a mechanical object with a certain lifespan, that I would be kind and take the depreciation on it and only ask for around $100 to put towards a new saw.

Am I being too easy on this guy, or should I make him pay for 100% of the repair/replacement cost?  I can see my wife's point, why should I have to pay any money when I started the entire interaction with a completely good chainsaw.

Thanks

John Deere GT 225 and 2305

Husqvarna 340

Honda UMK432LTA Trimmer

Bombardier Outlander 400XT

Briggs & Stratton Powerwasher to clean them all with.

Replies: 23 - 32 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
robmints

Re: How Much?
Reply #23   Jan 18, 2005 8:17 pm
PaulR wrote:
Well, I think I settled on upgrading to a larger Husqvarna Saw and will buy the parts to fix the old one (my neighbor is pretty mechanical and will help fix saw).  Like I said, the guy I loaned the saw to is 2 grades higher than me at work, so I don't want to push him too hard for the money.  I think a "friendly" reminder is certainly in order though.  I may have to delay the new saw purchase as I found out I have about $450 repair bill on my 02 Ram that's 4,000 miles out of warranty....

Two ways to look at the work thing. My dumb dog gone advise, don't seem to easy, but be fair. Don't know how political your work place is. But if this is a test. Be careful.

The truck. Ouch. Maybe the service advisor (if that's what they call themselves these days) will take some mercy and throw in some plugs and an oil change. Or maybe split the labor or parts. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #24   Jan 18, 2005 8:25 pm
robmints wrote:
Two ways to look at the work thing. My dumb dog gone advise, don't seem to easy, but be fair. Don't know how political your work place is. But if this is a test. Be careful.

The truck. Ouch. Maybe the service advisor (if that's what they call themselves these days) will take some mercy and throw in some plugs and an oil change. Or maybe split the labor or parts. Doesn't hurt to ask.
I've learned that in these deals where the vehicle is barely out of warranty, being nice and asking for break is sometimes worth doing and the other times turning into the exorcist is the best bet. Just have to know your folks there a little. LOL 

Hint, Service mangers want good CSI scores.
nibbler

Reply #25   Jan 18, 2005 9:36 pm
My take on it is "it depends".

You mention that the saw needed repair after your co-worker admitted abusing it but didn't say how much was due to the abuse and how much was there before he got his hands on it.

Personally I think the person is on the hook for any damage that was done while it was in his care. If that is 90% of the repair cost then so be it. If nothing else it will teach him that tools should be used properly. The fact that he admits to it and offered to pay seems like a point in his favour for taking resposibility. Sometime damage occurs despite a person's best efforts, their still responsible.

The concern about  the training aspect is also valid. I borrowed a chainsaw from a co-worker several years ago and he wouldn't let me have it until he had seen me start  it, turn it off and discussed how to use it with me. I was most impressed and not at all put out despite having used a chain saw for 20 years before. It meant he was doing his best to make sure I was safe. I do the same thing now.
Termy

Reply #26   Jan 18, 2005 11:06 pm
Woudn't $1000.00 dollars get you a top knotch snowblower?

Emmo

Reply #27   Jan 19, 2005 8:04 am
Marshall wrote:
I've learned that in these deals where the vehicle is barely out of warranty, being nice and asking for break is sometimes worth doing and the other times turning into the exorcist is the best bet. Just have to know your folks there a little. LOL 

Hint, Service mangers want good CSI scores.

Very True........

Especially if you have a good relationship with the service manager. If you vehicle has been maintained by the book (especially if they did ALL of the work), he/she should have some wiggle room to help you out.  Like Rob said parts, labor or a freebie on a future oil change/ tire roatation could soften the blow.  Their CSI will affect their paychecks at most dealerships, so most will not won't to alienate you.

Like Marshall said, approach this in a freindly easy manner, nice works more often than being a jerk. If that fails, the next best thing, is to get loud.  Not necessarily be a jerk, but if its a busy day at the service counter, the SM will want to resolve your complaint quickly and get you away from the rest of the customers ASAP.  If you're having a problem that could potentially be very common among their vehicles they may give into you so that they don't have to do it for everyone.

Good luck.
Torch

Reply #28   Jan 19, 2005 1:58 pm
I agree with Dave_in CT, I would show him the estimate, or take him to the place where you got the estimate, or even have him go get an estimate of his own (which he probably should have offered to do in the first place).

On the other hand, I also agree with Jogo, and that is I would buy a new one, wait until the next time the 13th falls on a Friday and pull a Jason Vorhees on him.  He'll learn from something like that.

James

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #29   Jan 19, 2005 2:09 pm
PaulR, if you don't mind me asking, what was the repair needed on your truck?  I know the transmission seems to be a hot repair item on those. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

lland

Reply #30   Jan 20, 2005 9:38 am
I try not to borrow things if I can avoid it...which is why I have a basement and garage full of stuff I've used very little but when I do, I try to return it in as good or better (i.e. cleaner or with a full tank of gas) than when I borrowed it.  Why anyone would borrow something and abuse it (then admit to abusing it) is beyond me.  If it was working when he received it, it should be returned in the same shape.  If you need to get it fixed, he should be responsible for the cost of the repair (or equivalent contribution to a new saw).  Exceptions:  Broken belts, adjustments, unforseen accidents, etc.  IMHO

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
PaulR

Browns, Cavs, Indians...just wait till next year!

Reply #31   Jan 21, 2005 6:57 pm
Ajace,  The dealer installed a PDC(?) and front control module and did not charge me any labor.  I am a DaimlerChrysler Employee and received the parts at a discount (15% instead of 25% if I would have ordered the parts ahead of time...but who knew).  I also had some power steering lines replaced that I was charged labor for (same 15% parts discount).  All in all, I am happy with my dealer (Aurora Chrysler in NE Ohio) but not very happy with the quality of the vehicle my corporation put out.  It is a 2002 Dodge Ram (DR - new body style) and was built very early (Feb 02) after, or even during, the launch of this new platform.   The thing that torques me off is that I doubt Toyota/Honda has these early build quality problems.  I talked with the corporate customer service rep today about my $545.50 bill and they have advised me to send a letter to Auburn Hills with all the details (they were able to pull up all  of my service visits based on VIN#).  The CSR eluded to, but did not come out and say, that It would be a good idea to request that DaimlerChrysler reimburse me for some of/all of the expenses incurred.  If you have had problems with any brand of vehicle, shortly after the warranty runs out, I suggest that you check that brands website for customer service help.  I feel that these types of issues should not happen in a $31,000.00 vehicle, no matter how early in the new model build stage it was assembled.  I know a few people that have had some of their service bills reimbursed after taking this route, hopefully I will be able to experience the pen being mightier than the sword.  If anyone is in the market for a new Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep (even after reading this far) please don't hesitate to contact me as I can offer a limited number of "friends and family" discounts which are 1% below dealer invoice and you get all available rebates too.  If it makes you feel any better, my wife's Dodge Grand Caravan has been trouble free.  38,000 miles and all I've had to do was put new front brakes on it and change the oil.

Chainsaw update....I spoke with "the boss" (he runs 2nd shift operations) and he is going to give me $100.00 after he gets paid at the end of the month.  It seemed to be a moderately fair deal, and I had that idea backed up by many of the postings on this great web site. 

John Deere GT 225 and 2305

Husqvarna 340

Honda UMK432LTA Trimmer

Bombardier Outlander 400XT

Briggs & Stratton Powerwasher to clean them all with.

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #32   Jan 21, 2005 7:07 pm
I'm a GM/Dodge guy.  It's just great to hear that DaimlerChrysler is being soo good to you.  That sounds like a good company.  It'd be real nice if I can get that 1%, rebates, and 0% financing.  That would sell me.  I keep wondering if Ford's built for the road ahead theme is really making better quality vehicles.  Anybody know?  Keep on 'em, they'll cave in. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 23 - 32 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42