Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > wedgefield snowblower auger stopped

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
timh310

wedgefield snowblower auger stopped
Original Message   Jan 8, 2009 9:36 am
last night i was using for the first time a inheriated pretty old wedgefield snowblower. i got most of my driveway done when i hit what sounded like ice and my augers quit. when i shift the auger on and off it doesnt even flinch. none of the shafts turn not even a pitch change. i tried turning the auger by hand with it engaged  and not engaged and nothing moves?? any help
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
timh310

Re: wedgefield snowblower auger stopped
Reply #2   Jan 9, 2009 2:38 am
yes this looks exactly like my machine. this weekend i will take cover off to see if belt is broken. the blades and the shaft, nothing moves when i try to do it by hand and even when i engage the auger(middle lever) the machine doesnt even flinch nor make any grinding noise which is why i thought it may not be a gear. If i did break a gear in that little box on the auger can it be replaces cause the machine is so old?? where would i get parts for this machine. any ideas?? thanks for your help i appreciate it...tim
MacLorry27

Reply #3   Jan 9, 2009 9:56 am

I recommend you do some troubleshooting before worrying about the worst case scenario, which would be a broken auger gearbox. It’s normal to not be able to turn the auger by hand as the worm gear in the gearbox prevents that. However, you should be able to reach in and turn the impeller by hand (make sure the engine can’t start before you try this) and turn the impeller in the direction it normally turns (in your case that’s counter clockwise looking at the impeller from the front like in the photo). The impeller will likely turn hard, but it should turn and as it does you should see the auger move a bit. If so, then the auger gearbox is likely ok and the cause of the problem is something you should be able to fix once you find it.

If you look at the photo showing the auger you can see that someone put bolts through the auger’s hollow axles into the auger shafts that go into the gearbox. Normally, that’s where the shear pins go. The shear pins act just like fuses in your house to prevent damage when there’s an overload. Replacing the shear pins with bolts puts the auger gearbox at risk if you hit something that jams the auger. I recommend that once you fix your machine you make sure you have proper shear pins installed. You should be able to get them on-line or at a local dealer. Even if they are not for your specific machine they are better than bolts that may be stronger than the gears. Even if your machine has shear pins, get some extras so you have them when they do their job and shear off.

This message was modified Jan 9, 2009 by MacLorry27
borat

Reply #4   Jan 9, 2009 10:22 am
Mac:

Those could very well be shear bolts.  Both of my old Craftsman machines used shear bolts with specially designed nuts to lock the in.

I'd use a stick down the chute hole to move the impeller.  Don't ever stick your hand into the jaws of the dragon.....NEVER.

MacLorry27

Reply #5   Jan 9, 2009 2:28 pm
borat wrote:
Mac:

Those could very well be shear bolts.  Both of my old Craftsman machines used shear bolts with specially designed nuts to lock the in.

I'd use a stick down the chute hole to move the impeller.  Don't ever stick your hand into the jaws of the dragon.....NEVER.

Is there a way to tell if the bolts are shear bolts or just regular bolts someone stuck in?

I went out and tried turning the impeller by hand on my 928 (with the ignition switch off) before suggesting timh310 try it. It turns, but not easily and I did worry about getting my hand stuck in there. Yes, maybe using a stick would be a better idea and you could come from the front, which gives a better view of the auger anyway.

Bill_H

Reply #6   Jan 9, 2009 10:00 pm
MacLorry27 wrote:

Is there a way to tell if the bolts are shear bolts or just regular bolts someone stuck in?

I've seen two kinds. One is a tapered pin threaded at one end for a nut, the top is round and one side has a flat cut in it (no hex head), it's shallow just above the threads. That one is pretty obvious. The other kind looks like a bolt with 2 grooves turned into it (the weak spots where it shears), I couldn't tell by looking without removing it as the grooves are hidden when it is installed.  I should say that the hex head on the second one doesn't have a flat top, the center is recessed so there's a rim around the top. Perhaps that's some kind of indicator? I don't know if all of them have that rim or not.

If it rattles in the hole and sticks out about 2", it's probably a regular bolt Bubba put in there. If it has a brass wingnut with one wing missing, that's another indication   :)
The one time I got stuck not having a replacement, I used a bent 8 penny nail. It almost broke with no heavy load so they're pretty weak. I'd be comfortable with it if I had to do it again.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
timh310

Reply #7   Jan 10, 2009 5:24 pm
you guys are awesome. it was just a belt. and it wasnt that hard to change. thanks guys. 1 more question. the gear box  thats right in between the augers,what kind of oil does it take. i wanna change it cause who knows when it was done last. thanks
borat

Reply #8   Jan 10, 2009 7:05 pm
It will likely be a gear oil or a liquid grease.  You will have to refer to the operator's manual (which you don't likely have) for proper lubrication.  I wouldn't be draining it until you know for certain what it takes.  Not all gear oils are the same.  Some are chemically balanced to work with certain types of metals thus the need to have specific lube requirements for your particular machine.   My machine requires the use of Benalene which is a liquid grease whereas most others use a gear oil.  You might want to inspect the lube level in the gear box to ensure it is up to level.  Make sure you don't drain it out.  If the fill plug is on the front, tilt the machine back a bit before you take it out then lower the machine a bit to see if the level is up.  Normally, the level should be right at the bottom of the fill hole.  If it has lube in it and it looks good, don't worry about changing it until you know for sure what it takes.  
MacLorry27

Reply #9   Jan 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Glad you found the problem and that it was something easily corrected. As for the lube in the auger gearbox, check it and if it’s ok or only a bit low, leave it until you find out what to use as borat advised.

However, you might find there’s very little lube in the gearbox and/or you might not be able to find out what lube was recommended. There is a solution.

Newer machines are going to liquid grease rather than gear oil. The difference between grease and oil is that grease also contains a thickener such as lithium compounds, molybdenum compounds, or PTFE’s (Teflon). All grease contains an oil base, so a good gear oil won’t damage seals that a low temperature liquid grease won’t damage. In a pinch you can use a synthetic 75w-90 gear oil. A synthetic gear oil will have excellent low temperature properties and higher shear strength that any conventional gear oil. Using it even if you don’t know if it’s the right lube is much better than having little or no lube in the gearbox, which is not uncommon on old machines. If you do find the gearbox is nearly dry and you add gear oil, the gearbox will likely leak oil for a while until the gaskets swell up. Just put something under the gearbox to keep it from messing your garage floor. Also, keep an eye on the level.

stokolan

Reply #10   Dec 24, 2014 10:47 am
Hi I have an old wedgefield snow thrower as well and it would be great to see pictures of it.I have not used it in years because we bought a new one on sale .yesterday I tried to get it running but it has no spark I don`t remember if and where the on/ off switch is on them can anyone help please
trouts2

Reply #11   Dec 25, 2014 2:29 pm
   He will also want a grease/oil rated for EP, extra pressure unless the manf spec's something else.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42