Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh elect start issue

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
chillywilly

Tecumseh elect start issue
Original Message   Jan 7, 2009 8:21 pm
Hi there, always fire up my snowblower using the electric start.  Tried yesterday, and got a whine from the starter, repeatedly.  Felt around the starter and to my surprise its loose. In fact one bolt already fell out & is missing and the top screw is loose.  Hoping to simply replace the missing bolt and tighten up the rest and hopefully the starter will fire.  The problem is what type of bolt fits the starter housing.  Tried the Tecumseh site but it has no schematic showing type/size of bolt.

Got this info from the starter:  Tecumseh 12205  120V 15 amp  33329D

As always, appreciate the advice. 

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
pvrp

Re: Tecumseh elect start issue
Reply #1   Jan 7, 2009 9:05 pm
Do you have any dealers around that sell machines like yours, or others with
Tecumseh engines ?   The simplest would just be to go there and get the proper
bolt from them.

Paul
This message was modified Jan 7, 2009 by pvrp
niper99

Reply #2   Jan 7, 2009 9:43 pm
l'm pretty sure there just a 5/16 or 3/8 standard bolt, any how just take the bolt out thats still in the starter and bring it to your local hardware store and they will match it for u thats the easiest way.

niper

mkd55

Reply #3   Jan 7, 2009 10:02 pm
had the starter on my 8 hp tecumseh do the same thing two winters ago.turned out that when i bought the machine in 86 brand new the electric start was added by the dealer as an option.when they installed it there are(i believe four)blind holes that are cast into the block that need to be threaded to hold the starter in place.they only used three! within two seasons one bolt fell out because of a bad install and before it came out it stripped the threads that were tapped in the block.two years ago the starter wined instead of working and i took the starter off to find the three bolts no longer kept the starter in place tight enought to work. i removed the starter and added one new bolt that i descovered they never tapped to start with and redid the bolt that was bad  that they had repaired several years ago. my starter is now working as it should.the helicoil was a standard u.s.  thread and not hard to find, any good hardware store or auto parts store carries them.
This message was modified Jan 7, 2009 by mkd55
mech12

Reply #4   Jan 8, 2009 9:19 am
standard   1/4-20 x 1/2.  use a corresponding lock washer.  we also like using blue loc-tite on these fastners.  they see a lot of torque on every use.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42