Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower innovation

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
trouts2

Snowblower innovation
Original Message   Jan 4, 2009 7:42 pm
    Below is a Han-Eclipse Giant chute control.  It's the earliest chute back attached chute control I’ve seen.  It’s pretty rugged and even after its many years of age will probably outlast the controls on current Ariens and Toro machines.  I’ve seen a few 4 or 5 year old Ariens machines with the fiber or composite head control gears ¼ to ½ worn away.

Replies: 1 - 19 of 19View as Outline
borat

Re: Snowblower innovation
Reply #1   Jan 4, 2009 7:57 pm
From what I can see of it, that machine looks like a tank.  I'm sure that with a decent maintenance schedule that thing will be around for many years to come.  Probably outlasting the best machines made today. 
trouts2

Reply #2   Jan 4, 2009 8:12 pm
  It is build like a tank.  The metal used is stout.  The tractor section is a very simple design and on this one the intrnals were in excellent condition.  It could easily last another 20-30.
Paul7

Reply #3   Jan 4, 2009 8:13 pm
The Hahn-Eclipse was built like a tank but the problem is that parts are non-existent these days. 

Interesting link below that illustrates older snowblowers.  Not sure if it was posted before or not.  The site owner was a Gilson man.

http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowvintage.html
borat

Reply #4   Jan 4, 2009 8:25 pm
Paul7 wrote:
The Hahn-Eclipse was built like a tank but the problem is that parts are non-existent these days. 

Interesting link below that illustrates older snowblowers.  Not sure if it was posted before or not.  The site owner was a Gilson man.

The nicest thing about those old machines is that their simplicity of design and construction would likely allow for a part to be easily made  if need be.   Machines today have elaborate castings that can't be fabricated in an average machine shop.  Those old machines were designed and built by people who were probably machinists and mechanics.  Chances are they were fabbed in very rudimentary plants with lots of manual labour.  Guys churning out gears, shafts and forming sheet metal would have been common place. Getting to be a lost art nowadays.      
trouts2

Reply #5   Jan 4, 2009 8:34 pm
Not much to go wrong in here.  Pretty simple.  I think friction disks are still available and bearings.  I doubt if a gear will go so other than that should stay healthy for quite a while.

Where is the cast iron gearbox?   

borat

Reply #6   Jan 4, 2009 8:39 pm
The gears in there look like they came out of a grist mill! 
MacLorry27

Reply #7   Jan 4, 2009 8:55 pm

From the photo showing the auger you can see there’s no center gearbox like on most snow throwers. So how is the auger powered? It looks like there could be a chain coming from the right wheel to the auger, but I can’t tell for sure from the photo. If that's the case then the wheel needs to be turning in order for the auger to rotate. While that’s simple and robust, I like having the auger powered independent of the wheels.

pvrp

Reply #8   Jan 4, 2009 10:32 pm
Paul7 wrote:

Man, some of those old blowers are pretty wicked.  They were probably responsible for
a lot of injuires.  That Roto-hoe with at least 4 exposed belts (and twin chutes, what kind
of crazy idea is that ?) or the monster Rolba straight out of Mech war movie (8ft chute,
no problems getting snow up over the sides of the driveway !) and no housing at all on the
augers.  There sure weren't many safety experts around in those days.

Paul
bowtietoo

Reply #9   Jan 5, 2009 12:41 pm
MacLorry27 wrote:

From the photo showing the auger you can see there’s no center gearbox like on most snow throwers. So how is the auger powered? It looks like there could be a chain coming from the right wheel to the auger, but I can’t tell for sure from the photo. If that's the case then the wheel needs to be turning in order for the auger to rotate. While that’s simple and robust, I like having the auger powered independent of the wheels.

In regards to how the auger is powered:  Your assumption is correct!  There is a sprocket on the outside of that right wheel, and there is a chain that is inside that houseing which powers the auger.  So, the only way to blow snow is for the wheels to be turning.  You can push the snowblower with the engine powered down, and still have the auger spinning, regardless of the clutch being disengaged. 
Ricksterr

Reply #10   Jan 3, 2010 2:33 pm
I have one of these babies. It has been in the family since 1973. Still has the original Tecumseh motor. It is a tank and weighs a ton. But here in Vermont it is exactly what you need. In high gear it goes like hell. I don't think I have ever come to a pile of wet snow it couldn't muscle its way through. My wife keeps telling me to buy a new one, but I know they just don't make'm like this anymore. Parts are mostly universal (bearings, shear pins, drive belts, etc. The parts that are unique, gears etc just don't fail.
aa335

Reply #11   Jan 3, 2010 10:59 pm
When you have one of these simple and tough machines, it's hard to part with them, especially if it does the job so well.  I'd love to take on a restoration project but just doesn't have the time or space at this point in my life.
willyd1954

Re: Snowblower innovation - Belt replacement process
Reply #12   Feb 8, 2010 10:23 am
Hello Trouts,

How do you replace the belt on this machine.  I can't seem to locate a manual or instructions anywhere. I recently purchased this machine, missed two snowstorms, don't want to miss the next one (due Tuedsay). Shoveled 5 hours on Saturday.

The main pulley is in the middle of the drive shaft. Short of completley dismantleing I can't see other options, although I hear there is a trick or tip out there. I can't imagine it being this complicated. 

Does the shaft run completely through? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Southeastern PA, Bucks County

williamdsjr@msn.com

Thanks.

trouts2

Reply #13   Feb 8, 2010 6:14 pm
Answered Willy in email but for reference: The belt is slipped between the friction disk and it's drive plate. You may have to back off the clutch adjustment to get a bit more clearance.
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #14   Feb 9, 2010 11:15 pm
For those who might be interested, there is one now on Ebay without motor, from Medfield, Massachusetts. Ends in 2 days, no bids, only 19.00$?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hahn-Eclipse-Snowblower-SnowGiant-w-Peerless-5sp-Trans_W0QQitemZ190370817424QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c52fc2590

https://t.me/pump_upp
beetlejuice

Reply #15   Feb 10, 2010 4:00 pm
Trouts2 -

The friction disk in my eclipse just went,  the rubber part has separated from the disk.

Do you know where you can get a replacement?  If not a Hahn brand disk (I see that Hahn parts are hard to come by), is there another brand that is interchangeable for the disk?

Thanks!!

junkbuzzard

Reply #16   Dec 26, 2010 9:21 pm
i have a hahn too and the photo here looks newer them mine , there is a trick to replacing the belt and when it runs i walks though snow 3 feet deep , mine needs a new bearing or bushing for the right side were the auger chain is, so if anyone can point me in the right direction for one , that would be great. thanks
trouts2

Reply #17   Dec 26, 2010 9:43 pm
If you are withing a reasonble driving distance of Marlboro, MA I know a place where you can order bearings.  Post if you are and I get the name.  Otherwise you can order from a bearing place on line.  If you don't have your part number post the factory number of your machine.  Someone or me also may have a manual which matches and can post your part number.  Sometimes you can get a google match and sometimes not.  Crapshoot.  Getting a bearing is usually not a problem.

Did you read post #13?  If your machine is different than the pictures then post your factory number.  DId you expand "all" for all posts?

beetlejuice, Sorry I missed the post, never saw it.  Some parts that match other machines or other appliction machines cross to Hann so availabe.  Whats your machine number?  Your probalby long gone.  If the friction disk wedges between two metal holders then you might be able to cut another makers friction disk and use it as a replacement.  I've never heard of that being done but think it would work.  Take yours to a dealer and ask him  to size it to the many he'll have in stock.  They are not expensive so giving it a try not much. 

OR

Look on Craigslist for parts machines.  They come up all the time and cheap.  Get two.  One in the garage for parts and the other in bed with you.  Everyone loves their Hann.  Never met a Hann owner who did not rave about his machine. 

steverealty

Reply #18   Feb 8, 2011 4:55 am
trouts2 wrote:
Answered Willy in email but for reference: The belt is slipped between the friction disk and it's drive plate. You may have to back off the clutch adjustment to get a bit more clearance.

I'd like the belt replacement info too if you still have it and any other info on this machine. Thanks!
trouts2

Reply #19   Feb 8, 2011 8:24 am
steverealty,

It foils many that the belt can't be slipped out and what you snipped is the way.   I got that from doing it on a Hahn and don't have any manuals or other info.   I've nver been able to locate a Hahn owners or parts manual.

Replies: 1 - 19 of 19View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42