Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Chaining oil in Airens 11528LE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Chuck1

Chaining oil in Airens 11528LE
Original Message   Jan 15, 2005 9:26 am
This may be a dumb question, but someone once told me that there's no such thing! 

Anyway, I'm about to do my first oil change on my new Ariens. I've been through the owner’s manual numerous times and, while it steps you through the motions, it doesn't actually show you where the drain plug is located. A visual check of the machine makes me think that the plug is at the end of a silver colored rod that protrudes to the left of the recoil starter. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks.

Chuck1

Ariens 11528, Yard Machine by MTD 6.0HP Mower, Weed Eater GTI-15, Simoniz S1600 Washer, Weber Silver C.
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
TheKneebiter

Re: Chaining oil in Airens 11528LE
Reply #1   Jan 15, 2005 9:37 am
thats it. just remove the cap and tilt the machine back. also remove the dipstick so it flows better. be sure to warm the engine before changing the oil

pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #2   Jan 15, 2005 10:12 am
Chuck I--Wasn,t dumb at all. You can bet one you think it too dumb to ask---is one that many others also wanted the info. Notice this is your first post. We welcome you and look forward to hearing more from you. Your friend--Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
jubol

Reply #3   Jan 15, 2005 11:17 am
   Chuck1,

Welcome to the best source of info on OPE around!!

Fred     

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #4   Jan 15, 2005 11:17 am
Chuck

I have an 11528LE too. That pipe is the drain. It may be shown in the engine manual. I don't recall. I have only changed the oil once too. I had to use a vicegrip wrench to hold the pipe while taking off the cap as the pipe would turn too.

Jonathan

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
jubol

Reply #5   Jan 15, 2005 11:24 am
  ALL,

I put a 90 degree swing ball valve with a hose barb on the end of the drain pipe on my blower.

I slip a short length of plastic tubing on the  barb after I have warmed the blower up so it can drain in a container.

Open the valve, oil is drained.

Close valve, remove tube, safety wire it shut and that is done!!

Fred  

This message was modified Jan 15, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #6   Jan 15, 2005 12:19 pm
Dumb?  Hardly, the first time I changed the oil I almost drained the transmission fluid.....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Chuck1

Reply #7   Jan 15, 2005 1:05 pm

Thanks for all the feedback folks!

I just finished the job. I did what others said to do on this forum – drain oil, refill with cheap 5W30, warmup again, another drain, then filled with Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30.

This is a great site folks. I really helped me make my decision to buy the Ariens in the first place - I was seriously looking at the Toro (the one that CR gave the nod) before I happened to find this forum.

Keep up the good work!

Chuck1

This message was modified Jan 15, 2005 by Chuck1

Ariens 11528, Yard Machine by MTD 6.0HP Mower, Weed Eater GTI-15, Simoniz S1600 Washer, Weber Silver C.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #8   Jan 15, 2005 3:26 pm
Chuck1...

Stick around and participate if you want...

Be glad havin' you here...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #9   Jan 15, 2005 4:24 pm
Chuck, Welcome!

Dumb question? No.

I have always done most of my own maintenance on my vehicles, OPE, bikes, boats, etc. Years ago, I went to change the plugs on my wifes new little Oldsmobile Cutlass Calias International series. It had Olds' little Quad Four engine and was a very quick and fun to drive car, the would haul! Anyhow, I raise the hood, which I had done before for various maintenance things, go looking for the spark plugs and can't find them. Hell, I can't even find spark plug wires.

Now, i have always been a little proud and just just coulnd't fathom the idea that I couldn't find these plugs! I stroll over to my neighbors house and interupt my neighbor having a 12 pack, I make a gentlemans bet that he can't find my spark plugs within 5 minutes. He proceeds to tell me that he can find anything on a car within 5 minutes but was also embarressed when he couldn't find them. It made me feel like I wasn't a dumb ass, that or I was just as drunk as he was.

Well, as you know today, the plugs were under a plate on top of the engine and didn't use plug wires but rather used contact points/plugs. Bottom line, just how we dumb we really are depends on what are experiences have been. If you've never changed the oil on that engine before, you isn't aint dumb, you just ain't not nervah done dat befo.
This message was modified Jan 15, 2005 by Marshall
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42