Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > ariens st524 snow thrower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
lonewolf486

ariens st524 snow thrower
Original Message   Dec 17, 2008 1:12 pm
i was recently given an ariens st524 snowthrower that has sat for quite some years and my nieghbor knows all about small engine repair so i have that covered but we have one problem and we cannot find the engine number for the tecumseh 5 hp so that i can get a carb rebuild kit we have scourd the entire engine for it and to no avail if anyone has any info on this it would be great thanks email is lonewolf486@operamail.com
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
friiy

Re: ariens st524 snow thrower
Reply #1   Dec 17, 2008 3:33 pm
Sometimes I tis on a sticker on the fan shroud,  sometimes it is stamped into the shroud...

Friiy

mech12

Reply #2   Dec 18, 2008 3:40 pm
check the engine housing,  older units had them stamped into the metal next to the sparkplug....  if your existing carb is adjustable,  screw on bottom you can adjust,  not just a bolt  then you need a   tec part #  31840.....
trouts2

Reply #3   Dec 18, 2008 9:19 pm
   Some of the older engines had a metal dogtag like tab screwed to an engine cover  that wrapped 1/4th way around the head.  It's white and  hard to notice.

trouts2

lonewolf486

Reply #4   Dec 19, 2008 2:47 pm
ok i have searched like crazy for any tag but to no avail right now i am try to adjust the screws because i can get it to run if i cover the intake with my thumb restricting the air flow but it seems to be running rich how sensitive is the adjustment screw on the bottom and i have also been playing around with a black screw on the side that my neighbor says is also an adjustment but very sensitive and not to bottom it out to hard so as to not damage the points should i be just adjusting the one on the bottom he says to bottom both out and turn 11/2 turns to start
mkd55

Reply #5   Dec 20, 2008 12:14 pm
1 -1/2 turns is the initial seting once the carb has been rebuilt or the settings disturbed.this will get the engine to run. there are actually two screws on the side and one on the bottom.the upper side screw is the idle speed,the lower side screw is the at idle mixture adjustment. the screw on the bottom of the bowl is the high speed mixture adjustment.set the idle mixture and high speed mixture scews to above,1-1/2 turns out or counterclockwise from LIGHTLY BOTTOMED.start the engine and warm it up completely,once warm lower the idle speed(adjusting top screw on side cover) so the engine will run at the slowest speed it can run smoothly. now adjust the lower side screw slowly in (clockwise) leaning the mixture till the engine rpm starts to lower,note position of slot in idle screw! now adjust the same screw  back out (counterclockwise) richening the mixture till the engine starts to loose rpm's. note this position of slot in idle screw! the correct adjustment is very near the midway point of these two idle mixture settings.now adjust the top screw(idle speed) on the side cover to get a sustanable good idle. now advance the throttle to wide open and turn the bottom bowl screw in(clockwise) till the engine starts to loose rpm or starts to backfire(lean condition).note this position! back out the high speed mixture scew(counterclockwise) until the engine starts to loose rpm (rich condition).very near correct position is midway between the lean and rich noted positions of the high speed scew slot. once this is done return the engine to idle and adjust idle speed again if necessary.from an idle when engine is fully warmed up it should go to full throttle without hesitation,and be able to throw snow under heavy load without loosing power(too lean)or bogging down (black smoke out of exhaust)too rich.when everything is right the engine will start easy when cold,only take about 30 seconds after startup( with no load )and you can remove the choke completely,and briskly move the throttle from idle to high speed with no stumble or engine dying. the choke letoff after 30 seconds or so is a good indication if the adjustments are right.if the engine takes too long in choke mode it is too lean.if it doesn't need the choke hardly at all after startup it is too rich.as little as 1/8 turn on either of the mixture screws makes a difference. do the adjustments in sequence as listed above and it should get you very close.i start my 8hp with throttle full advance,4 pumps of the primer button,and choke fully closed and the above is how mine starts and runs.  hope this helps
This message was modified Dec 20, 2008 by mkd55
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42