Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Is Freewheel Steering on the Toro Powermax snowblower necessary?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Is Freewheel Steering on the Toro Powermax snowblower necessary?
Original Message   Sep 1, 2008 6:57 pm
I am going to be purchasing a snowblower in the next month.  I've narrowed my choices down to two:

1. Toro 826LE with a 250 cc Briggs Snowmax OHV engine.  These just came out this year. 222 lbs.  $1399 Canadian

2. Toro 828LE with a 318cc Tecumseh L-head engine.  249 lbs.     $1620 Canadian.

I'd really prefer the 826LE due to the Briggs OHV engine but this model does not have freewheel steering whereas the 828LE has freewheel steering but a Tecumseh engine of which I'm not a fan.  The 826 would also more easily fit through a section of my patio that's only 31" wide.

I'm looking for advice as to whether the freewheel steering is really necessary.

Thank you.

Replies: 4 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
browntee

Re: Is Freewheel Steering on the Toro Powermax snowblower necessary?
Reply #4   Nov 6, 2008 6:39 pm
I can't remember the exact price. But It's very close to the price they gave you for the 826LE.

I HAD to get one last year and the local Toro dealer was the only one in town with any stock. The were able to get a hold of a shipment that were headed over seas and they were selling like hot cakes. So I jumped at it, knowing that Toro has a good name. If I had the chance I would have looked around more. I'd look at Ariens and simplicity.....also good names.  But....I'm VERY HAPPY with my Toro.

TB

borat

Re: Is Freewheel Steering on the Toro Powermax snowblower necessary?
Reply #5   Nov 6, 2008 9:20 pm
When I bought my Simplicity last year for $1500.00 CDN, a comparable Toro was close to $2000.00.  I was impressed with the build quality of the Toro chassis but with an old style 8 h.p. L head Tecumseh engine and, aluminum auger gear housing, I think Toro has a lot of nerve to demand that kind of price.   The Simplicity chassis is built just as well.  It has a B&S ohv engine, cast iron auger gear housing and all mechanical controls that work in the most demanding environments.  To me, the decision was a no-brainer.  The $500.00 I saved will buy a hell of a lot of gas.   Another good reason for me not buying  the Toro is that the local dealer (stealer) is one of the worst gougers I've ever encountered.   
Replies: 4 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42