Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Is Freewheel Steering on the Toro Powermax snowblower necessary?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Is Freewheel Steering on the Toro Powermax snowblower necessary?
Original Message   Sep 1, 2008 6:57 pm
I am going to be purchasing a snowblower in the next month.  I've narrowed my choices down to two:

1. Toro 826LE with a 250 cc Briggs Snowmax OHV engine.  These just came out this year. 222 lbs.  $1399 Canadian

2. Toro 828LE with a 318cc Tecumseh L-head engine.  249 lbs.     $1620 Canadian.

I'd really prefer the 826LE due to the Briggs OHV engine but this model does not have freewheel steering whereas the 828LE has freewheel steering but a Tecumseh engine of which I'm not a fan.  The 826 would also more easily fit through a section of my patio that's only 31" wide.

I'm looking for advice as to whether the freewheel steering is really necessary.

Thank you.

Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
browntee

Re: Is Freewheel Steering on the Toro Powermax snowblower necessary?
Reply #2   Nov 5, 2008 8:04 pm
I bought a powermax in Jan. of last year and it had the Briggs and Stratten OHV engine. The machine I bought was headed for sale in Europe but was redirected to Canada instead (we had a tough winter last year and everybody sold out of snowblowers)  Anyway, it is called a powermax 6000 but it seems to have the same specs. as the 826 le. I used it for one tough winter and this is what I discovered.....

a) You don't need freewheel steering, my wife uses it with no trouble, and she is not a big lady. It handles very well..

b) You won't need electric start either. It starts easier than my lawnmower.

c) Light easy to handle. snow shute works well

Very hapy with it... Highly recommended IMHO.

TB

borat

Reply #3   Nov 5, 2008 8:08 pm
browntee wrote:
I bought a powermax in Jan. of last year and it had the Briggs and Stratten OHV engine. The machine I bought was headed for sale in Europe but was redirected to Canada instead (we had a tough winter last year and everybody sold out of snowblowers)  Anyway, it is called a powermax 6000 but it seems to have the same specs. as the 826 le. I used it for one tough winter and this is what I discovered.....

a) You don't need freewheel steering, my wife uses it with no trouble, and she is not a big lady. It handles very well..

b) You won't need electric start either. It starts easier than my lawnmower.

c) Light easy to handle. snow shute works well

Very hapy with it... Highly recommended IMHO.

TB

What was the price if you don't mind me asking?
browntee

Reply #4   Nov 6, 2008 6:39 pm
I can't remember the exact price. But It's very close to the price they gave you for the 826LE.

I HAD to get one last year and the local Toro dealer was the only one in town with any stock. The were able to get a hold of a shipment that were headed over seas and they were selling like hot cakes. So I jumped at it, knowing that Toro has a good name. If I had the chance I would have looked around more. I'd look at Ariens and simplicity.....also good names.  But....I'm VERY HAPPY with my Toro.

TB

borat

Reply #5   Nov 6, 2008 9:20 pm
When I bought my Simplicity last year for $1500.00 CDN, a comparable Toro was close to $2000.00.  I was impressed with the build quality of the Toro chassis but with an old style 8 h.p. L head Tecumseh engine and, aluminum auger gear housing, I think Toro has a lot of nerve to demand that kind of price.   The Simplicity chassis is built just as well.  It has a B&S ohv engine, cast iron auger gear housing and all mechanical controls that work in the most demanding environments.  To me, the decision was a no-brainer.  The $500.00 I saved will buy a hell of a lot of gas.   Another good reason for me not buying  the Toro is that the local dealer (stealer) is one of the worst gougers I've ever encountered.   
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42