Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Use of Sta-Bil and/or Seafoam gas stabilizers/cleaners

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Use of Sta-Bil and/or Seafoam gas stabilizers/cleaners
Original Message   Nov 5, 2008 5:06 am
I have looked online for website information on these two products and then on many forums, both here and elsewhere, including those for lawnmowers, cars, motorcycles, and boating.
There is almost 100% universal support for Sta-Bil and Seafoam, but you have people who like one or the other better, maybe a few who like both.  It depends on their experience and which product they came by first.

1)  One poster said his mechanic advised him not to use Sta-Bil in cold weather since it doesn't mix well with the gas.  The poster has a new Ariens 11528DLE that was experiencing starting/operating problems.  He was told the Sta-Bil was the problem since it didn't mix well with the gas and was causing gumming in the carburetor.   He was advised to use Seafoam.  The guy then drained the gas from his snow blower and put new gas in with Seafoam.  He said that did the trick.  That was the only comment out of probably nearly 200 I have read saying anything bad about Sta-Bil.  Is there any truth to this comment that Sta-Bil doesn't do well in cold weather?  By the way, the Sta-Bil MSDS sheet says it is 95% natpha (you know, white gas/starter fluid/mineral spirits, etc. type of fuel distillate), and 5% "proprietary ingredients".

2)  One of the ingredients in Seafoam (according to their MSDS sheet) is IPA (isopropyl alcohol) to help suspend water.  A few posts say that Seafoam actually contains a small portion of water, not mentioned in the MSDS since its just water.  What would Seafoam be accomplishing by having water in their formula, just to turn around and put in IPA to counteract it?  Crazy.  Is this even true that Seafoam has water in it?  Seafoam's MSDS sheet says it is 40-60%  "pale oil", 25-35% natpha, and 10-20% IPA.  So what's the real deal with Seafoam?  Better than Sta-Bil, or is this just an endless debate of who likes what?  What is "pale oil?"

3)  Some posters say follow your machine's manual by running the gas out of your machine and draining the carburetor.  Some say to not do that as you may encourage moisture condensation.  Others say go ahead and use your fuel stabilizer, run the machine for a few minutes to get the mixture into the carburetor and the rest of the system, and then just leave the mix in the tank during storage.  What is the best way?

4)  I'd like to hear some reliable opinions from some mechanics out there who can give me some factual opinions about these two products that everyone, it seems, thinks are the greatest things to use. 

Thanks for the help.
This message was modified Nov 5, 2008 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
chopper

Re: Use of Sta-Bil and/or Seafoam gas stabilizers/cleaners
Reply #1   Nov 5, 2008 7:12 am
The only product that I have ever used is Sta-bil. I have been using it for 25 years in all my power equipment both 2 and 4 cycle. BUT...I ONLY use it in the storing process of my equipment until the next season. In other words, take my mowers for instance. I measure the proper amount of Sta-Bil and add it directly to the gas tank of my mower. I then run the engine for 5 minutes or so and that's it. I store through the winter until spring or vise versa. ALL my power equipment have ALWAYS started right up the next season. I own a JD lawn tractor, Craftsman push mower, Stihl weed wacker, Craftsman leaf blower, Stihl chain saw, and a Craftsman snow blower and I treat them all the same. None have ever failed to start and run well at the beginning of their season. I have never added the Sta-Bil directly to the fuel in my storeage gas cans. I can only say that this process may not be correct in the eyes of others, but it has worked for me.
borat

Re: Use of Sta-Bil and/or Seafoam gas stabilizers/cleaners
Reply #2   Nov 5, 2008 4:36 pm
I'm neither a mechanic nor a chemist. Nor have I played either on TV.   However, I have used Stabil in the past.  I had one partial bottle go gummy while sitting on a shelf in my garage.  Stopped using it after that.  I've since been using Seafoam for a few years.  It seems to work for me.  I have a twenty year old two stroke Echo lawn mower that has never failed to run.  Knowing that Seafoam is also used to clean out carbon from engines and varnish from carbs, I decided to put an ounce or so into the lawn mower fuel tank.   I fired it up and it smoked heavier than usual for the first couple of minutes.  At about the five minute mark, I noticed an increase in operating rpm and a marked improvement in cutting power.  Not sure what happened.  I suspect that the Seafoam must have either freed up the carb or cleaned off some carbon from the exhaust port.   With that first hand observation, I did the same to several other two cycle engines that I own.  I didn't see the same level of performance improvement other than my ice auger which is over 25 years old.   It responded much like my lawn mower.  Now I run an ounce or so through each machine once a year.   So, if you want a product that works as a fuel stabilizer and an engine cleaner, Seafoam seems to be the way to go.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42