Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > BCS 2-wheel tractor Mainline tiller Model 715 (1978-83 vintage) with Italian ACME 8hp. Given up the ghost?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Underdog

BCS 2-wheel tractor Mainline tiller Model 715 (1978-83 vintage) with Italian ACME 8hp. Given up the ghost?
Original Message   Nov 2, 2008 2:10 pm
I don't really need another project this winter but could anyone tell me if this BCS tiller is worth putting some time into? Right now all I know is that the cylinder in the italian (Acme) 8hp engine does not seem to move at all. There is what smells like diesel fuel on the top of the cylinder when you pull the sparkplug.  I checked the reviews on this web page and the new models seem to have satisfied owners.  I don't really need the snowblower part that came with it. Just the tiller. Any thoughts/comments/concerns are welcome. If you know the vintage of the unit that would be of interest to me.  The tires have a few very small cracks (where the wheels sat for a long time without much air)  but nothing that would concern me.  I don't have any information from the previous owner other than it's been in the family a long time, sat in a barn in VT, and the engine is siezed up.  It uses one of those oil bath air filters.  It has three forward speeds and one speed reverse. Would an inexpensive chinese (honda knockoff) 8hp bolt right on?

This message was modified Nov 6, 2008 by Underdog

Replies: 1 - 10 of 45NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Re: BCS Mainline tiller snowblower
Reply #1   Nov 2, 2008 5:38 pm
BCS has a reputation for being a sturdy gear driven machine with alot of optional attachments. I couldn't afford one and went with the less expensive belt driven Troy Bilts. I think some of the older versions had diesel engines. I'd suggest you do some googleing and see what you can find in terms of service and parts. The BCS Web site has a dealer locater.  www.bcs-america.com

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
borat

Reply #2   Nov 2, 2008 8:33 pm
If it's a gasoline powered engine and it smells like diesel fuel, there's a good chance that the piston seized and someone poured diesel fuel into it to free the piston.  In all likelihood, the engine is probably irreparable.  However, that does not rule out the potential for the rest of the machine.  Being as rugged as they are, and from appearance in the picture, the rest of the unit might just be a diamond in the rough.  If I were you, I'd get in touch with Small Engine Warehouse ( http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ProductList.asp ) and put a new engine on that thing. 
Underdog

Re: BCS Diesel ?
Reply #3   Nov 2, 2008 9:02 pm
Jonathan wrote:
BCS has a reputation for being a sturdy gear driven machine with alot of optional attachments. I couldn't afford one and went with the less expensive belt driven Troy Bilts. I think some of the older versions had diesel engines. I'd suggest you do some googleing and see what you can find in terms of service and parts. The BCS Web site has a dealer locater.  www.bcs-america.com

Really? A diesel engine?  It has a spark plug so maybe this one runs on gas (I don't see any fuel injectors). But engine has a written reference on the side for what looks like an engine oil and transmission oil spec?  It says " 30 SAE Diesel and 40 SAE Diesel."  Much of the writing on the machine is in Italian.  Is "diesel" just another word for "oil" in Italy? When an engine siezes up what has happened? Is it just rust? I have seen engines with little or no compression but never a siezed cylinder. Does it just rust in place from sitting too long?  The BCS came from a barn in Vermont where is sat for a long time. It looks to me like someone has recently been tinkering with it.  There's lots of plastic on it here and there so I don't think its a dinorsaur.  I wish I had more to go on.  Thanks for the bcs web link.

Underdog

Italian translation: "Estate" = "summer" : "Inverno" = "winter"
Reply #4   Nov 2, 2008 9:27 pm
Guess it's a diesel? Shows you how much I know. This might explain why the cylinder is siezed up, there's definitely gas (I'm not that bad) in the gas tank. 

Did I mention that the tires look pretty good.

This message was modified Nov 2, 2008 by Underdog

friiy

Reply #5   Nov 2, 2008 10:56 pm
NO.... it is not a diesel diesels don't have sparkplugs ( unless they are made to start on gas first to warm them up like my fathers IH bulldozer),  that placard is telling you what type of oil to run in what climate...

Everything is fixable,   more than likely the drive is in gear or the blades are engaged.. and you can not turn it over.  Those are very durable units.  even if it is (froze up they sell oversize pistons and ring sets for the motors, someone could have set it on its side and locked up the motor with engien oil...

Just start toubleshooting....

Let us know.

Friiy

friiy

Reply #6   Nov 3, 2008 12:19 am
This is what I found on a year or so ago on these motors....

http://webbsfarmsupplies.com/Acme_Motors.html

they have some good info resource.

With luck,

Friiy

Underdog

Re: BCS Model 710? with an Acme 8hp
Reply #7   Nov 3, 2008 6:54 pm
With some help from the board, I found this code buried under crud on the side of the unit:
 BCS 712 7B
*55159*
DGM1471
MA 0M
Now I have no clue what these numbers mean but I think that the 712 is the model number. (Update: No these numbers mean nothing. The BCS is a model 715 produced in the late 70's or early 80's.)  And the numbers between the stars (*) is a serial number.
The clutch has some issue. It does not move when I squeeze the handle.  

friiy

Reply #8   Nov 3, 2008 7:12 pm
HAve you taken the plug out yet?   I am wondering if there is rust on it.. ( the inside electrode... that is )

Have you checked to see if it is out of gear yet ?

Friiy

Underdog

Reply #9   Nov 3, 2008 9:41 pm
friiy wrote:
HAve you taken the plug out yet?   I am wondering if there is rust on it.. ( the inside electrode... that is ) Have you checked to see if it is out of gear yet ?

Friiy

Friiy you are on a lucky streak.  Yes it was stuck in gear. It spins freely now  (maybe a little too freely?).  Hard to say how much compression but it does spin. I pulled the plug and sucked out some of the fluid that was in there. I took a small baby food jar of this fluid to my local auto parts store and they said it is  "Marvel Mystery Oil."  That stuff has a  strange yet familiar smell (kerosene?) and is not diesel as I had first suspected.  I wire brushed the plug but there was no rust  on it just the normal crud (not white or grey) and the plug also had some of the Mystery oil on it.   I have not found the electrode yet., nor do I know what one is.  Working on this motor is a little like working in the dark with all the  Italian. and the symbols on the choke, throttle and fuel valve have me completely baffled. My first impression of the Acme engine is that it is (or at least once was) very well constructed and  the  design leaves little to be desired. The pull starter is very beefy, the starter cord is made of  steel cable, and most of the moving parts seem made to last a long time.  Tommorrow I'm going to follow down some leads (thanks)  and track down an owner's manual and service manual. 

borat

Reply #10   Nov 3, 2008 9:52 pm
Have you determined if it's a diesel or gasoline engine?   Personally, being trained many, many,  years ago as a diesel mechanic, I don't recall seeing any diesles with a spark plug.  Usually they are equipped with glow plugs which are much different than a spark plug. 
Replies: 1 - 10 of 45NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42