Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Big Box vs. Local, Snowthrowers, Ariens/Toro

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Glove

Big Box vs. Local, Snowthrowers, Ariens/Toro
Original Message   Oct 29, 2008 2:55 pm
Ok, does big box really get different machines than local retailers..?
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
chopper

Re: Big Box vs. Local, Snowthrowers, Ariens/Toro
Reply #1   Oct 29, 2008 4:39 pm
If the model numbers are the same then they are the same machines. Now the service, that could be a different story. I would expect you to get better service at a dealer. A dealer believe it or not probably doesn't make much on the initial sale just like a car dealer. Where they make up for it is you bringing your machine back to them for service. And there is nothing wrong with that providing they treat you kindly and fairly.
mech12

Reply #2   Oct 30, 2008 3:15 pm
the big  stores have lesser quality machines......  say a john deere bought at home depot may be made by murray.... its not actually a john deere machine...  same goes with  toro tractors sold at home depot  they are made by  mtd.   with the box store,  keep in mind when the purchase snowblowers they probably buy   3,000 units at one time and then disperse them throughout the northern region.  they will get a better purchase price when buying in quanity.  as for service you get  NONE... i continually get units in my shop that have been purchases at home depot....  they basically told the customer  thanks for the purchase but see ya.  we are a sales and service center for toro.  toro sets our price on the machines.  we dont make much  but like said you get complete service from us.  when a "warranty" repair comes in to the shop and it was purchased from us,  it goes to front of line.  a home depot purchase waits in line like the rest of units.       
borat

Reply #3   Oct 30, 2008 8:42 pm
Sears and HD are pretty shabby when it comes to warranty work.  Personally, I wouldn't let them work on anything I own.  It's worth the extra few bucks to buy your equipment from an OPE dealership.  Provided they have a good reputation.   When I shop for a piece of equipment, I'll check out the box store offerings but I no longer buy anything from them if I can get it somewhere else.  Earlier this year, I wanted a smaller, lighter chainsaw to use for light work.  My big Jonsereds machines are too heavy for working in tight quarters and limbing smaller trees.  I shopped high and low for an Echo 346 and couldn't get one anywhere other than HD due to that model being discontinued.  It was the last one they had.   So I take the machine home, fuel it up, check chain tension and everything else for integrity.  I tried to cut some small limbs off of a balsam tree and the saw wouldn't cut.  Upon closer inspection, I noticed that HD Timmy put the chain on backward.  I didn't even look at the chain orientation.  Just goes to show that their staff  wasn't paying attention when they assembled the saw.    What adds insult to injury, is that if one does buy from the box stores, the chances of having a problem with the product will be much greater than a product bought from a dealership.   I also have to agree with the member who pointed out that the JD and some of the Toro products aren't really made by those manufacturers.   JD and Toro should be embarrassed to have their names on the yard tractors sold at HD.   
chopper

Reply #4   Oct 31, 2008 6:47 am
Like I said...It's all in the model numbers boys. Check the model number. There are models that the box houses carry that are NOT sold at the dealerships. AND...there are for example Toro, John Deere, Ariens, etc models sold at those represented dealerships that are made by other companies such as MTD, etc. So just because you are buying a Toro, John Deere, Ariens, etc machine from the reprenseted dealer does NOT always mean you are getting TOTALLY what is represented. You have to do your homework!
trouts2

Reply #5   Oct 31, 2008 9:26 pm
Chopper:  If the model numbers are the same then they are the same machines. Now the service, that could be a different story.

Here in eastern Massachusetts some dealers carry the Ariens cheap models along with the high end models.  The local HD has several Ariens high end models along with the lesser models.

For gaurentee work I would imagine that you could bring a HD purchased Ariens to any authorized Ariens dealer.

snowblowerguy

Reply #6   Oct 31, 2008 9:55 pm
lets say for example home depot..they sell ariens right? well the local dealers want you to think they are different machines because they dont have the buying power Home depot does, so they will say either they are not the same machine or Home Depot assembles them wrong. But keep in mind HD does not carry the Ariens PRO models.
Harold

Reply #7   Nov 1, 2008 10:39 pm
I think it's awful when a dealer tries telling someone that an Ariens model 123 at a big box is different than the model 123 the small place sells.  And for a small dealer to say that the big box model 123 is inferior to my model 123 is bunk. 

Look up the model number on the manufacturers site.  The parts of the big box model 123 are identical to the dealers 123 model.  There's no differentiation to where the units are purchased.

Bad advice from a small dealer trying to gain ground back which the big box stores are taking.  Losing credibility is a bad thing.  You may provide good service, but don't mislead the consumer to make a sale.
Santaclause

Reply #8   Jan 19, 2009 12:12 am
I will say this I purchased a snowthrower from lowes and I ussually never buy something like that from big box but the price is what got me and I will say this never again I had some issues and just not comfortable with my purchase now just my 2 cents
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42