Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro vs Craftsman

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Toro vs Craftsman
Original Message   Jan 14, 2005 10:52 am
Here are the facts I can find:

Model    

Toro

Craftsman

Price      

$1,294

$1,190

(all taxes, extended warranties included)

Warranty

2 yrs

5 yrs

(both in-home / in-home pickup)

CR rated

# 1

# 4

Free wheel steering

Y

Y

Horsepower

8 hp

9 hp

Wheel Size

15 “

16 “

Everything else (clearing path, etc) seem equal.  Normally I would jump on the Toro, based on its superior rating, not only for this model, but for many of their other models that have consistently done well in CR ratings.  The only caveat is, in a big storm (15” or more) does anyone think the extra 1 hp of the Craftsman will make a difference.  Two people I work with have Ariens (hard to believe I don’t disclose everything about my life in one post so this fact might shock some people).  One loves his 8.5hp Ariens and says it is more than adequate even in 15” storms, the other disagreed and traded in the 8.5 hp Ariens for an 11hp Ariens.  The “end of the driveway” was the argument for the latter co-worker getting a bigger machine.  Both co-workers say their wives could not use their Ariens due to handling is difficult (especially getting it out and in the garage where the pavement is dry).  So for me, the Ariens is not a product I want to consider.

I’m curious as to your opinions specifically about the hp between the Toro and the Craftsman.  Is it necessary to get a bigger machine (I live in upstate NY, but not in Syracuse or Buffalo – near Albany, where we get about 60” year in total snowfall). 

This message was modified Jan 14, 2005 by SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Replies: 19 - 28 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: Toro vs Craftsman
Reply #19   Jan 14, 2005 7:08 pm
Hi Snowremover,

Wow, I just read you are now considering a Toro 828 LXE.  If you read my review on this board, your decision should be clear.  The 8hp engine is plenty powerful with very little vibration.  You'll be amazed at the throw distance you get from this machine.  This model does not require shearpins, so it's one less thing you have to worry about.  The auger gear case seems very large compared to other snowblowers I've seen.  It's no wonder Toro did away with the pins.  It was also apparent to me that Toro has gone in a great direction with this machine and the R&D shows.  If you want to save a few dollars, and  you don't want the freewheel trigger steering option, go for the 826 LE.  Do yourself a favor and have the dealer allow you to test each machine in his parking lot.  You don't need snow to run it around.  Good luck

Richie
plugger

Reply #20   Jan 14, 2005 7:32 pm
I don't think 1hp difference would be noticable.  Either one would be fine.  Which one do you prefer?

Chevy  K1500,
Fisher 760LD,
Ariens 926LE Pro
buttlint

Reply #21   Jan 14, 2005 7:33 pm
Quote: That said, is there anything I should look at to make absolutely SURE it is not a used product.
Yes.
Check the engine model tag. (It's usually on the blower housing...near the bottom...on the left hand side of the engine.)
That tag is made from a heat sensitive material that changes colors when the engine has been run.
When it is fresh.....it has red letters with a gold background.
Once it has been started and heated....it will turn too black letters on a silver background.
Make sure that it is red and gold.....then you can be sure that the machine has never been used.
If it is silver and black....you know that they are trying too rip you off by selling you a used piece of equiptment.
HTH.

robmints

Reply #22   Jan 14, 2005 7:48 pm
Lint,
Is there an unusual record of problems or concerns related to the 828lxe that you know of?
Is there a reason you mentioned they might stop making them?
If I recall correctly it was two band brakes, one on each wheel to lock the wheels to the drive? Seemed pretty simple, but with something new, there usually seems to be an issue or two.
They already stopped the Power Shift, if they keep stopping production they will be out of the blower business.
Thanks.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #23   Jan 14, 2005 7:55 pm
buttlint wrote:
Quote: That said, is there anything I should look at to make absolutely SURE it is not a used product.
Yes.
Check the engine model tag. (It's usually on the blower housing...near the bottom...on the left hand side of the engine.)
That tag is made from a heat sensitive material that changes colors when the engine has been run.
When it is fresh.....it has red letters with a gold background.
Once it has been started and heated....it will turn too black letters on a silver background.
Make sure that it is red and gold.....then you can be sure that the machine has never been used.
If it is silver and black....you know that they are trying too rip you off by selling you a used piece of equiptment.
HTH.

Hey Lint, what about the machines the dealers start up to test it before delivery as part of inspecting it?
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #24   Jan 14, 2005 8:03 pm
If the choice is between 1 horsepower and quality, choose quality. 1 more horsepower will never pay a really noticeable dividend over the long haul, but quality always will.  Even if 1 less horsepower is noticeable, it will simply take a little longer to do the job.

I'm biased, I chose a Toro.

AZ  

This message was modified Jan 14, 2005 by AZinOH

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #25   Jan 14, 2005 8:06 pm
Hi AZ,

I agree with you.  If you're capable of going in either direction, quality should be priority.

Richie
navihawk

Reply #26   Jan 14, 2005 8:53 pm
The Murray built machines for Craftsman have higher bars.For me that is a handling factor. To bad they'r going belly up. Mine handles pretty good.Bigger tires are better too.Toro is better quality.I would buy a Toro before Ariens.OHV motor if you can get one.
This message was modified Jan 14, 2005 by navihawk
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #27   Jan 14, 2005 9:06 pm
navihawk wrote:
The Murray built machines for Craftsman have higher bars.For me that is a handling factor. To bad they'r going belly up. Mine handles pretty good.Bigger tires are better too.Toro is better quality.I would buy a Toro before Ariens.OHV motor if you can get one.

Don't hold me to it, but as far as I know none of the Toros have an OHV engine. I'm not knocking the Tecumseh SK's,  but I am happy with the R*tek two stroke in my Toro 726 and very glad I have it.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #28   Jan 14, 2005 9:48 pm
Just for the record, I want to say to everyone, this forum has no allegiance to any manufacturer over any other manufacturer nor do any of it's moderators. I know the regulars here know this because they have been around long enough to see all kinds of different brands being recommended by all of us. This is mainly directed to the new folks that are clueless, through no fault of their own, to any history of the forum.

All of the moderators on this site try their best to recommend what they feel is best for the members with the information members provide. If it happens to be brand X, then that is what they feel is a better solution. If it happens to be brand Y or Z, then they feel that is the best option based on the information provided.

With exceptions of course, there are some givens in the OPE world. One of them is that the Simplicities, Toro's Snapper's, Honda's Deere's, Kubota's, etc. of the world, are a better quality machine as a whole than products from MTD and Murray in what they manufacture. Most usually, not always but, most usually in the world of Outdoor Power Equipment, the more you spend, the better quality you get. The "you get what you pay for" rule is close to being correct most of the time in this industry.

If we error on anything, it's that we try to err on the side of quality because we want you to be a happy customer with whatever it is you decide. If we always recommended the cheapest solution, I can promise you we would have many folks hot under the collar with us and would not be doing anyone any favors!

Personally, I subscribe to the buy more heavy duty than I need theory because my equipment always lasts and doesn't get worn out in a few years. I try to keep in mind that not everyone wants to buy like I do and that price is a huge factor as well. In general, we try to recommend the best machine possible for your needs and pocketbook!

Our recommendations are based on facts taken from hands on experience,  knowledge of those we trust that have provided their opinion, a history of the performance of the product and our experience in looking at new models with new features and coming up with an opinion on what they may or may not provide you. We are not always right, by any means, and we will disagree between us from time to time. But, be it known and believed, our passion about this field is high and we are here for free to give answers and suggestions.

We are in no one's pocket and no one is paying us for doing this. Being this is a new forum, actually a new site starting up, I thought it might be nice for some folks to know this in order help them understand us and our motives better.

OK, enough on that. Marshall    
This message was modified Jan 15, 2005 by Marshall
Replies: 19 - 28 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42