Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Disc-O-matic

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
BBgarage

Disc-O-matic
Original Message   Dec 11, 2005 11:01 pm
Can someone please explain how exactly the disc-o-matic works so I don't take mine apart to try to figure it out for myself?

Note: I know how to USE it, but am not quite sure how exactly it functions.

Hell, I understand DSGs, Auto trannys, SMGs, manuals, and CVTs more than I understand this.
Replies: 15 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
zippo2008

Re: Disc-O-matic
Reply #15   Sep 4, 2008 12:47 pm
hi everyone,

can somebody explain this disc-o-matic system ?

do you need to stop the snowblower's moment in order to switch gears ?

thanks for any info.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #16   Oct 18, 2008 6:11 am
Zippo.  Hi, there.  Yes, you do have to stop to change gears.  Same for reverse.  Only the Honda hydrostatic trannys allow you to shift as you keep moving.  But then, they don't have power steering.  Weird.

Update:  I wasn't so clear when I posted my first comment.  I was thinking of saving unneccesry wear on the rubber portion of the one disc.  You can shift while moving, but I'd prefer avoiding that possible extra wear.  It's certainly not a mechanical problem to change forward gears, or the reverse gears, but never go from forward to reverse, or vice versa, unless you stop beforehand.
This message was modified Nov 7, 2008 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Snowmann

Reply #17   Oct 18, 2008 10:12 am
coasteray wrote:
Zippo.  Hi, there.  Yes, you do have to stop to change gears.  Same for reverse.  Only the Honda hydrostatic trannys allow you to shift as you keep moving.  But then, they don't have power steering.  Weird. 

Actually you can shift on the fly. Just not from forward to reverse or vice versa or you could rupture the friction disk.

PK
snowblowerguy

Reply #18   Oct 31, 2008 10:08 pm
in simple terms there are 2 disks one with a rubber outer surface and perpendicular to each other that contact and the farther out one moves the faster you go
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #19   Nov 7, 2008 4:24 am
coasteray wrote:

I wasn't so clear when I posted my first comment.  I was thinking of saving unneccessry wear on the rubber portion of the one disc.  You can shift while moving, but I'd prefer avoiding that possible extra wear.  It's certainly not a mechanical problem to change forward gears, or the reverse gears, but never go from forward to reverse, or vice versa, unless you stop beforehand.

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Replies: 15 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42