Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How Much Power Do I need

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

How Much Power Do I need
Original Message   Jan 12, 2005 1:56 pm
I'm looking into a snow blower/thrower.  I live in upstate NY (near Albany) and would estimate we get about four to five storms a year with about 8".  There are the rare NorthEasters that may drop 15" every three or four years.

My driveway is on about a 3 degree grade, one car length in width for about thirty feet, then it opens up to about three car lengths wide (in an L shape) for about twenty feet.

Is a single stage thrower too small, or will it work but just take more time to clear the snow?

I see CR reviewed models recently and liked the single stage Toro CCR-2450 which I can get online (free shipping, no tax) for $537 at SpeedWaysales.com.

The two-stage model they liked was a Craftsman 88790, which Sears has on sale for $949.

I would love to hear what people think about the two-stage versus one-stage, especially if you live in the Northeast near Albany, and what models you think are the best.

Lastly, I HATE maintenance, and the Ariens web site scared the bejeesus out of me with their maintenance section (You must tighten the drive belt after 20 hours of usage.  Then in the drive belt section it says, "Be careful, if this is not done right you may be injured or killed").  
This message was modified Jan 12, 2005 by SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Replies: 52 - 61 of 71Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: How Much Power Do I need
Reply #52   Jan 13, 2005 6:31 pm
Hi SnowRemover,

I've been following this thread the last day and feel the Craftsman model will be a fine snowblower for you and very powerful.  As for reliability, I don't see that it'll be any trouble for you.  I own a lot of the Sears Craftman line of power equipment, the largest being a 17hp tractor.  Honestly, it's been great and I enjoy doing periodic service to it.  I've had it for 7 years and it just keeps going. 

ANY outdoor power equipment, and I don't care what the brand, will fail if not properly maintained.  The owners manual tells you exactly what is needed and usually very easy to do.  What caught my attention in your case is the fact you intend to purchase the service agreement with Sears.  This is a great thing to have, since they are usually very fast when it comes to service calls, and one way or another, get your equipment running well.  I live in New York, and that has always been my experience with Sears service plans.  5 years is a long time and the agreement will give you great piece of mind.

Just take the time, whatever snowblower brand you purchase, to read the owners manual thoroughly, and familiarize yourself with the machine and controls.  If you haven't used a snowblower before, snowblow initially in 1st gear, which will keep the machine moving slowly, until you become accustomed to it's use and your confidence builds.  I also recommend using PRI-G fuel stabilizer in each and every tank full of fuel, in fact, I use it in every piece of outdoor power equipment I own, all year round.  Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Richie
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #53   Jan 13, 2005 7:39 pm
I was going to suggest that you call some local small engine repair places that don't sell machines to get their opinions based on their repair experiences, but now I second Richie's post. Going back to your original post you indicated that you didn't want to do be concerned with doing maintenance. Having the Sears in house protection plan will take care of that for you. You will also have time to look at other brands, compare workmanship, weld quality, metal thickness, etc. while you are using the Craftsman. You will have a well maintained machine that can be easily sold via Want-Ad Digest or the TU if you decide to go with another brand or get another Sears. Now let's get some snow.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
bmwe0692

"Have a great and glorious day"

Reply #54   Jan 13, 2005 7:53 pm
Dave_in_ct

In choosing a shovel would you recommend a snow shovel,sand shovel, square nose, or spade?
Long handle or short??
Fibre-glass or wood??
Straight handle or d-shaped
Ergonomic or regular??
Straight or curved blade??
Plastic or metal??
SSSSSSSOOOOOOOOO many choices !!!!! Not much time will snow someday????

(ALL IN FUN!!!!!!!!)   HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!

T.J. terry

Put it where the Big iron wheel runs!!!
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #55   Jan 13, 2005 8:50 pm
Dave_in_CT,

Thanks for the information.  It seems everyone was a lot nicer after my tirade.  You did say "People who responded... put in quite a bit of the time and effort on this one post...
All for free !"

I spend countless hours on experts-exchange.com helping people for free with their programming problems, so I know what its like.  I also spend a lot of time on the car/truck bulletin boards, and I will never berate a brand or specific vehicle model without evidence of the problem (backed up with a link to the story/article).

Now I know that there is a ton more information on cars than snow blowers - or my Google searches would have provided much better results.  The only reliability stats I can find on lawn equipment is in CR's buying guide.  Craftsman is highly regarded in everything (and so is Kenmore), but there isn't any information on snow thrower reliability.

From what I can tell, I get all the features I want in the Craftsman, I get the Service contract and if its anything like there lawn mowers/garden tractors it will be very reliable (though the Honda's are even more reliable, just cost twice as much).

I do appreciate what effort people have been put in, but don't enjoy (as a newbie) being called "Snowdude".

Lastly, and this is partially off topic, on another thread in abbysguide a person asked about computers.  I provided a link backing up my assertions, the Administrator (Peter) who was arguing the other point, removed the whole topic.  And the guy throwing names around on this topic is a Full-Moderator accusing me of an agenda (Marshall).

So I can't apologize for going off on a tirade when supposed Moderators and Administrators are berating me and deleting posts/topics (this after I complained no one backs up their statements - then I do it and get the whole topic removed!).

I'm done ranting.

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Moderator peter

Reply #56   Jan 13, 2005 9:17 pm
Hey, this site is currently in beta mode. For a while, the Lawnmower forum was the end-all place to post things, but as we are going live tomorrow, we are removing irrelevant topics and moving others to their proper homes, now that all of the sections are up and running. Since there is no computer board, the entire topic was removed. As I explained in a private message to you, once the computer section is up, you can discuss things there to your heart's content.
plugger

Reply #57   Jan 13, 2005 9:36 pm
SnowRemover wrote:

I've heard others say the paint chips off the steel and it rusts.  I've yet to hear someone saying the chute broke.

Dave said: Dealers usually offer pickup/delivery for a fee...
Not if I don't buy it from them (Home Depot).

"... for $150 I can get a 5 year "in home" protection plan with unlimited service calls ..."

The guy across my street has a Craftsman and they have a 48-72 hour turn around time.  If he fails to maintain the unit, the unit is still covered by their warranty - unless he fails to add oil.

One of my neighbors  bought a Crafstman with the plastic chute last year and it broke during  the first storm.

Another neighbor bought a Crafstman a few years ago with the in home protection plan and had a lot of trouble with it.  The 48 to 72 hour turn around time turned out to be a week and it didn't help much since the machine broke twice during storms.   He got so upset he went back to Sears and tried to get them to take it back.  They ended up giving him a 10% refund.

By the way I have to say I like your pragmatic approach to deciding which machine, if any, is right for you.  My advice would be to get someone else to clear your driveway.  You seem to have a fear of machines and if your not the type of person who can do minor repairs and make simple adjustments your probably getting in over your head with a snowthrower.  They work in a harsh environment which means they'll break. And they'll most probably break at the worst possible time.

Edited: Removed my personal opinion on Crafstman vs Ariens.
This message was modified Jan 13, 2005 by plugger

Chevy  K1500,
Fisher 760LD,
Ariens 926LE Pro
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #58   Jan 13, 2005 10:17 pm
Snowremover, You like to call em as you see em, I decided to take you up on it. Why don't you like it? It's how you came across!

You never did say you were going to go to Sears, Ariens, Simplicity, Honda, Toro, etc. and look at the differences in person. Not everything can be done on a computer screen.

You don't like to maintain and service them yourself? 3 year service contract? What are you doing the 4th year and beyond. Gonna trade it in and buy another, service it yourself, pay someone to service and fix the 4 year old MTD or renew the agreement at the then current price on the old MTD?

I just got off the phone with Sears and learned that the service agreement is for 3 years on all lawn and garden equipment, snowblowers included. You know that it doesn't cover oil and filter changes, spark plugs or blades if it's a mower, correct? That's the vast majority of your maintenance! Oh, they'll do it but they'll charge you $50 bucks. You know it may take up to two weeks (max) for them to come to your place to fix your snowblower too, right? Maybe it will wait to snow for two weeks after it breaks?

So, for the price of the Craftsman plus the service contract price, give or take, you could have a Premium machine that has a history behind them of longevity and great performance. You still have to do your own maintenance regardless which way you go. The warranty on the Ariens, for example, is three years, the same length of term you're covered for if you pay extra for the service agreement.

So I guess you get either an MTD that someone drives to your house to fix, and pray they actually get to you first or, for the same money, you get a premium machine and have a machine that has better odds of serving you reliably for years to come.

Quote........

"""Lastly, I HATE maintenance, and the Ariens web site scared the bejeesus out of me with their maintenance section (You must tighten the drive belt after 20 hours of usage.  Then in the drive belt section it says, "Be careful, if this is not done right you may be injured or killed")."""

I guess you're assuming this won't be needed on the MTD? If it is needed, I hope it's not needed right before it's getting ready to snow and you're waiting on the Sears man to come.

And finally, Consumer Reliar magazine doesn't test snowblowers for 7-15 years to come up with an opinion, they don't have the longevity factor figured in at all, if they say they do, it's a mere guess. Frankly, I'm not so sure about there testing for the days they actually do it.

I could care less which you buy but, I suggest you listen to the majority of these dudes on the forum that have been doing this for many, many years. It's their experience they are giving to you, not their ego!
This message was modified Jan 13, 2005 by Marshall
Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #59   Jan 13, 2005 10:26 pm
SNOWREMOVER, Consumer Reports 2005 Buying Guide-Page 301-#4-Craftsman 88790 "CR Best Buy" (meaning value for what you are paying, not overall quality best buy), Last place in the 2 stage catagory-#12 Craftsman 88700. Page 302 last place in the single stage Gas Snowblower category #20-Craftsman 88140. They do not appear anywhere in the electric category. I am reading my data and statistics and am seeing Craftsman rated at best 4th place, and then last throughout the rest of the report. This is not to say that they do not work, and/or work well; it is just not showing well as a brand in the C.R. report. However, I also agree with the others and you should follow your gut, otherwise you will never find contentment. Thanks, Walt
This message was modified Jan 13, 2005 by Walt
hickster

Reply #60   Jan 13, 2005 11:28 pm
I tried to past some stuff from the old forum and it didn't post right here.

Nevermind anyway. Buy the Craftsman. It's what you want.
hickster
This message was modified Jan 13, 2005 by hickster

Weather outlook for the "Anchorage bowl"

Blower      HS928TA 
Mower      HRR216PDA 
Washer    Excell XR2700 (6.5 Honda-GX/AR-2700psi/3gpm) 
Trimmer   John Deere (Homelite clone)
Saw         Husky 141 

SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #61   Jan 14, 2005 8:30 am
My advice would be to get someone else to clear your driveway.  You seem to have a fear of machines and if your not the type of person who can do minor repairs and make simple adjustments your probably getting in over your head with a snowthrower.
--plugger

Nice first post - though I would bet my house this is only your first post under that user name.

I've ripped trannies out of chevy's, old datsun's.  I know my way around any pre-pollution car, especially those with points (anyone remember messing with points?).

You bring nothing to this topic except for venom and spit.  Now go away.

--Friedrich Nietzsche
Replies: 52 - 61 of 71Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42