Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How Much Power Do I need

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

How Much Power Do I need
Original Message   Jan 12, 2005 1:56 pm
I'm looking into a snow blower/thrower.  I live in upstate NY (near Albany) and would estimate we get about four to five storms a year with about 8".  There are the rare NorthEasters that may drop 15" every three or four years.

My driveway is on about a 3 degree grade, one car length in width for about thirty feet, then it opens up to about three car lengths wide (in an L shape) for about twenty feet.

Is a single stage thrower too small, or will it work but just take more time to clear the snow?

I see CR reviewed models recently and liked the single stage Toro CCR-2450 which I can get online (free shipping, no tax) for $537 at SpeedWaysales.com.

The two-stage model they liked was a Craftsman 88790, which Sears has on sale for $949.

I would love to hear what people think about the two-stage versus one-stage, especially if you live in the Northeast near Albany, and what models you think are the best.

Lastly, I HATE maintenance, and the Ariens web site scared the bejeesus out of me with their maintenance section (You must tighten the drive belt after 20 hours of usage.  Then in the drive belt section it says, "Be careful, if this is not done right you may be injured or killed").  
This message was modified Jan 12, 2005 by SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Replies: 62 - 71 of 71Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
skyking3

Re: How Much Power Do I need
Reply #62   Jan 14, 2005 8:32 am
glad to see chopper made it over.................
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #63   Jan 14, 2005 8:37 am
Marshall,

Sorry I didn't actually say I looked at the models.  I went to Home Depot and spent an 1/2 hour with a guy who said he owned the Ariens 8526.  I used my neighbors Craftsmen 88790 to clear my driveway a week ago.

AFTER looking at the models and using one of them, I came here.

I hope that clarifies everything.

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #64   Jan 14, 2005 8:51 am
Marshall wrote:
I just got off the phone with Sears and learned that the service agreement is for 3 years on all lawn and garden equipment, snowblowers included. You know that it doesn't cover oil and filter changes, spark plugs or blades if it's a mower, correct? That's the vast majority of your maintenance! Oh, they'll do it but they'll charge you $50 bucks. You know it may take up to two weeks (max) for them to come to your place to fix your snowblower too, right? Maybe it will wait to snow for two weeks after it breaks?

As stated in my previous post, Sears will cover the Snow Thrower for $150 for five years - in home service.  Simply go to their website and add any snow thrower to your cart.  Then you will be given the three or five year protection plans.

And you're completely missing my point.  I have no problem doing maintenance.  But the Ariens manual clearly, undisputably says, if you screw up the belt maintenance it can cause injury or death.  Doesn't that mean that the belt assembly, if it breaks will destroy the housing surrounding it and possibly kill the person using the machine!  That's the only reason the Ariens service worries me - poor housing surrounding their belt assembly.

But the Sears protection plan gives me piece of mind if the unit is not of "high quality".  What if it breaks down, as many hear feel MTD products are not up to Ariens quality - now, for the same price as the Ariens, the unit will be repaired or replaced for five years.

--Friedrich Nietzsche
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #65   Jan 14, 2005 8:55 am
Marshall wrote:
So, for the price of the Craftsman plus the service contract price, give or take, you could have a Premium machine that has a history behind them of longevity and great performance. You still have to do your own maintenance regardless which way you go. The warranty on the Ariens, for example, is three years, the same length of term you're covered for if you pay extra for the service agreement.

This is exactly the attitude of people hear.  Knock on a product by implying one is NOT premium, but give zero evidence to back up the claim.  Is this site run by Ariens?  Funded by Ariens?  Can you back up your implication that the Craftsman is no of premium quality, or are you just full of hot air?

Plus, as mentioned in the post above, the Craftsman will give me 5 years in house warranty compared to the 3 of Ariens. 

--Friedrich Nietzsche
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #66   Jan 14, 2005 8:58 am
Marshall wrote:
And finally, Consumer Reliar magazine doesn't test snowblowers for 7-15 years to come up with an opinion, they don't have the longevity factor figured in at all, if they say they do, it's a mere guess. Frankly, I'm not so sure about there testing for the days they actually do it.

I'm not hear to back up CR's reporting.  But they've never lost a lawsuit - so putting Liar in their name is baseless.

But your post clarifies everything I've been saying about baseless, uninformed arguments.  Where are your facts!
This message was modified Jan 14, 2005 by SnowRemover

--Friedrich Nietzsche
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #67   Jan 14, 2005 8:59 am
Marshall wrote:
I just got off the phone with Sears and learned that the service agreement is for 3 years on all lawn and garden equipment, snowblowers included.

I could care less which you buy ...

Sure, you could care less.  Just get on the phone and spend your time calling Sears for something you could care less about.  Even your lies are bad.

--Friedrich Nietzsche
skyking3

Reply #68   Jan 14, 2005 9:04 am
here's an idea..............

buy what you already talked yourself into.............

if it gives peace of mind to buy craftsman , then you'll love your machine.............

bill
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #69   Jan 14, 2005 9:09 am
Walt wrote:
SNOWREMOVER, Consumer Reports 2005 Buying Guide-Page 301-#4-Craftsman 88790 "CR Best Buy" (meaning value for what you are paying, not overall quality best buy), Last place in the 2 stage catagory-#12 Craftsman 88700. Page 302 last place in the single stage Gas Snowblower category #20-Craftsman 88140. They do not appear anywhere in the electric category. I am reading my data and statistics and am seeing Craftsman rated at best 4th place, and then last throughout the rest of the report. This is not to say that they do not work, and/or work well; it is just not showing well as a brand in the C.R. report. However, I also agree with the others and you should follow your gut, otherwise you will never find contentment. Thanks, Walt

Walt - good points.  The #1 rated blower was the Toro, but HD (at least the two in my area) don't stock it and can't order it for me.  The local dealers want $1,350 for it, and then add 8.25% sales tax = $1,461.

Now, speedwaysales.com has this unit for $1,294 with free shipping and no tax.  If I bought the Craftsman for $950 and added $150 for the 5 yr plan = $1,100 + 8.25% tax  =$1,190.  For $100 more I can get the top rated Snow Thrower instead of the 4th highest rated unit.

Now you've got me thinking...Toro might be the way to go.

--Friedrich Nietzsche
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #70   Jan 14, 2005 9:49 am
Hahahaha, 4 post in a row to me, must have made great points, got him flustered as hell. 

Snowdude, take your agenda, your rant and the fight you're wishing to pick somplace else. There's much to say but  frankly you're not worth the time. Buy your Craftsman and get your three year plan, read CR until your hearts content, keep trolling websites trying to push Craftsman over Ariens as you've done before and will attempt to do again. I know who you are and so do the others.

buttlint

Reply #71   Jan 14, 2005 9:52 am
Now you've got me thinking...Toro might be the way to go.

Please dont do that!
All of the dealers throughout  North America are out of stock of the model your are looking for and they will probley never stock it again. They may even stop making them altogether.
Sears sounds like a much better option for you.
Replies: 62 - 71 of 71Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42