Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > End of year Preventive maintenance

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
daswede

End of year Preventive maintenance
Original Message   Mar 13, 2008 12:19 pm
  I bought a new Ariens 724 2 cycle snow thrower this  year ,and am wondering what those on this site might recommend for end of year maintenance my snow blower?  Manual is helpful,but not  complete.   I not interested in tearing this thing apart.  thanks
Replies: 4 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mikev

Re: End of year Preventive maintenance
Reply #4   Mar 14, 2008 10:05 pm
Thanks for the great info.

Would you suggest changing the oil at the end of the season, or just before the next season.

Mike

borat

Reply #5   Mar 14, 2008 11:21 pm
Fresh oil for storage would be good.  That way, the engine doesn't have to sit for eight months with old  oil  that will likely have some contaminants/condensation in it.   
nibbler

Oil Change
Reply #6   Mar 17, 2008 8:06 am
After running the engine to warm it up, drain the old oil and put in fresh, then turn the engine over a bit just to distribute the "new" stuff. Once that is done you can do the long term storage stuff.
Snowbound

Reply #7   Mar 17, 2008 11:42 am
Bill_H wrote:

If you're as bad as I am ;) paste wax all the painted surfaces except on the engine.

This is when wax is not used for good looks.  Wash the blower first to remove any road salt from EOD clearing.  Then wax. . . doesn't matter if it's paste or liquid especially if the machine will be covered and protected from the elements.  A friend in the neighborhood now has rust appearing on his machine because he never washes or waxes it after a season.
Replies: 4 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42