Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ever hear of a Toro 828 LE??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ttobia

Ever hear of a Toro 828 LE??
Original Message   Jan 11, 2005 6:09 pm

Hi all.  I've been researching snowblowers for the past month (on the old site) and finally decided on the Toro 828. I got a great deal (so I thought) on ebay for a brand new one including the standard 2-year warranty. The seller is a Toro dealer who sold me his floor model and shipped for free. The listing stated an 828 LXE, model 38632. When I got the blower, it turned out to be an 828 LE (no "X"). This version doesn't have the freewheel steering. Problem is, I can't find any info on this blower. Toro's site only lists an 826 LE and an 828 LXE. Does anybody know anything about the 828 LE? Was this Toro's first release of the 828 and they added the freewheel steering (and the "X") later in the year? I'm waiting to hear back from the seller (just called him today), but I'd like to know more about it first.

From the few responses on the other site (I posted there before I knew you moved) it looks like this is an older model year.  Does anyone know what these went for?  Would the quality have been the same as the new models?  Did anything major change?  I paid $999 delivered.  Since it's basically an 826 LE with 2 extra inches and a light, I don't think I got ripped off.  But, I surely didn't get as good a deal as I originally thought.  I didn't hear back from the dealer yet, but I'm assuming my options will be to ship it back for a refund (and be out $100-$150) or keep it and maybe (doubtful) get some money back.

Thanks in advance as I know I'm dealing with some real experts here!

-Tony

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jubol

Re: Ever hear of a Toro 828 LE??
Reply #2   Jan 11, 2005 6:28 pm
TTobia,

Ask him for a partial refund of a few bucks ( $150.00 ), as you were lied to!!

Also contact EBAY as they have a guarantee program( I Think ) up to a grand.

If he does not come through, and he is in business, contact the BBB and file a complaint!

If you ship it back, all shipping costs  should be at his expense, to and from!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
REguy

Ever been to the sea Billy??

Reply #3   Jan 11, 2005 10:11 pm
That was not right for the seller to advertise a model and deliver another and you should contact him to try and get a refund of some sort, however that would cost you money to ship the unit. On the other side of the situation, you got yourself a great machine. I have the 826 LE, last years model with the joystick chute and I couldn't be happier, throws snow unlike anything I have ever seen, people even stop to watch when I'm blowing the driveway (50x100 ft). Cute control is amazing and the chute/intake material although not metal will last forever but I would be cautious depending on where you live of large rocks at the EOD. Here in my area it's residential so the plows don't leave any large rocks. Ice isn't a problem, my machine eats all up. Rtaing of 1-10, I will give it a 9. Take care and may the snow be with you!!!
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #4   Jan 11, 2005 10:57 pm
Hi again Tony,

In addtion to what we've discussed already, if I were you, I'd go to your local Toro dealer and test out an 828 LXE and see how you like the freewheel trigger steering feature.  This way you can evaluate it for yourself and have a better idea if it's worth going through the extra trouble of shipping back the one you have for the latest version of it.  Remember, the 828 is 245 lbs.  It may not be all that difficult to spinning it around on snow, but without the freewheel feature, it can get tough moving it around in the garage when you have to drag the wheels on dry pavement.  You don't have to have it running to use the triggers either.  I have a full (lengthy) review of this snowblower in our review section here.  You may want to read through it.   I really hope this works out for you.  Please let us know.

Richie
Bandit

Reply #5   Jan 11, 2005 11:54 pm
     Does it have a drum auger or the newer version Toro now uses? As far as I know this is the first year they have gone without the drum design. Does it have the quick  adjust shute ?  
ttobia

Reply #6   Jan 12, 2005 8:59 pm
Thanks everybody for the replies.  I got in touch with the seller today and he's going to refund $150 to me.  Now I'm back to thinking I got a pretty good deal.  An 828 LE with 2-year warranty for $850.  The freewheel steering is nice, but I can't justify the extra $475 it would cost ($1,250 plus tax). 

Bandit, I don't know enough about snowblowers to know if it has a drum auger or the new one.  Is there a big difference?  My snowblower does have the quick adjust shoot (joystick) which is a nice feature.

Thanks again for all your quick replies.  It helped me leverage with the seller on how much of a refund was reasonable to ask for.  Now, I can't wait to get some snow to try this baby out!!!!!

-Tony

Jerry944T

Toro 8/26 LE
Love the joystick!

Reply #7   Jan 12, 2005 9:30 pm
Regardless you are going to love that machine. You also ended up with an outstanding deal. The Joystick is a beautiful thing.

The one caveat is that there has been a recall on some of the Toro models. I know my 8/26LE was recalled to upgrade the chute assembly and something in the drive train. If it is a new machine that is a warranty item and an authorized Toro dealer has the obligation to do the service for you, including free pick up and delivery within 15 miles of the dealer.

You should check that out. It's important.

Jerry

Emmo

Reply #8   Jan 12, 2005 10:00 pm
Congrats Tony on the new machine and on the financial adju$tment!

A good deal all the way around, and by all means look into the chute replacement.

Toro apparantly found a way to improve it.
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #9   Jan 12, 2005 10:01 pm
Tony if it is the drum auger don't sweat it, it has been around for years and is a very successful design.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Emmo

Reply #10   Jan 12, 2005 10:07 pm
It is NOT a drum auger unit.

Here is a pic and a link to the one Tony got.

Specs

This message was modified Jan 12, 2005 by Emmo
robmints

Reply #11   Jan 12, 2005 10:07 pm
A drum auger looks very different than most augers. I think they were only on Power Shift last year.

Two Stage Power Shift
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42