Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Auger - Impeller Toro 824

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stim

Auger - Impeller Toro 824
Original Message   Feb 23, 2008 1:29 pm
Have a 10 year old Toro 824.. Has been a trouble free machine.. Mostly just oil changes and occassional belt tightening, oiling etc.. 

Today did the whole driveway and noticed the last pass I was not throwing snow like normal.  Determined that auger was not turning.  Impeller yes auger no.  Seemed the auger was slightly scraping the asphalt.  Raised it up using the guides it is free and can rotate by hand but while (by hand) I can turn the shaft from the impeller the auger is not driven?

I assume there is a gear inside the aluminum housing that may be bad?  Any assistance appreciated.  Is it replaceable by a not real handy mechanic?!

Replies: 1 - 10 of 21NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

Re: Auger - Impeller Toro 824
Reply #1   Feb 23, 2008 1:41 pm
do you have a broken shear pin?

stim

Reply #2   Feb 23, 2008 1:53 pm
Where would the pin be located?
donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

Reply #3   Feb 23, 2008 2:01 pm
when you are looking at the auger,there is a shaft that goes across,look on the shaft,there should be a shear pin on each side.turn the auger by hand,if one side spins freely,there is your broken pin.hope this helps.

stim

Reply #4   Feb 23, 2008 2:18 pm
I do appreciate the help but based on the parts blow up I saw on the Toro site and actually looking my self there is no shear pin on the auger.  The auger is bolted to the shaft.

What makes me worry is the auger turns by hand (both sides in other words not one side is independent or "free") but the impeller shaft does not.

pare_john

Reply #5   Feb 23, 2008 4:48 pm
Your machine does not have shear pics. But still verify the auger bolts to make sure they are not broken. If that is not the problem then your gear is shot
mech12

Reply #6   Feb 23, 2008 4:50 pm
 as youu look at the augers from front the shear bolts are on either side up againt the inside of blower housing.  kinda need to spin augers to see,  but these are in fact the shear  pins.  sound like to me you spun the worm gear inside the gearcase. this gear is brass and will wear down.   ps  dont let the augers ride on driveway that is what the side skid shoes are for.  adjust the shoes to keep scraper off ground about 1/4 inch.   this will cause possible stoppage and breakage of above mentioned part.  if you need some more help post the actual model and serial number on here.  its located on back panel between back wheels, usually.  the 824  just tells me its an 8hp with a 24 inch cutting path.  toro made the fo 10-15 yrs.    
pare_john

Reply #7   Feb 23, 2008 5:20 pm
sorry but they are not shear pins, they are bolts. Toro even says that the machines do not use shear pins in their manuals.
stim

Reply #8   Feb 23, 2008 10:11 pm
Thanks for all the posts..

Checked the shear bolts  -  solid..  Must be the worm gear or helical?  Anyway not sure if I can repair it or have to have some one take a look.  M# 38542 S# 990572.

What I think happened is in moving it into the garage on an angle I might have bent the auger housing by hitting the garage floor lip -  slightly lowering the height of the auger to the ground?

stim

Reply #9   Feb 24, 2008 12:47 pm
OK I've made the leap towards doing it myself... Have the housing off the auger removed and just the auger and impeller shafts and helical/worm gear unit left.  Am trying to get the impeller shaft removed from the impeller itself w/o luck,  Given the prices I have seen for the worm gear unit, $300+ I want to make sure that is the issue before I order one.  The impeller shaft is connected by two shear? bolts but they have a brass? casing that fits into the shaft.. any advice? 
trouts2

Reply #10   Feb 24, 2008 3:44 pm
Replies: 1 - 10 of 21NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42