Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro's new Power Clear single-stage models

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jonb

Toro's new Power Clear single-stage models
Original Message   Nov 13, 2007 10:39 am
I was all set to order a Toro 20" model, but I see they've just introduced a new line that's an inch wider, otherwise pretty similar and doesn't weigh any more.

Anyone have the inside scoop on these? Same Toro quality?

http://www.toro.com/home/snowthrowers/index.html
This message was modified Nov 13, 2007 by jonb
Replies: 11 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
oldcrow

If it ain't broke, try harder

Re: Toro's new Power Clear single-stage models
Reply #11   Feb 22, 2008 12:57 pm
Well, it's been an interesting winter. More snow than usual, and bitter cold like I haven't seen in 5 years. This was not the season to rely on a shovel - I'm feeling a lot better now about buying at January prices.

My little Toro 4-stroke handled most of the snow events with ease. It rips through powder like nothing - I pushed it into 26" with no problem. Wet snow is a different story, though. We've had a couple of major wet snowfalls since my last writing, and I have to say this single-stage machine was really laboring. It did get the job done, but often required a lengthy smash-and-backup routine when the depth went above 20".

In all fairness, this type of duty is probably beyond the machine's capabilities.Fortunately, this is only an occassional event here. The engine did surprisingly well in the wet stuff, until this last snowfall - which was nearly slush it was so full of moisture. Took twice as long as normal to clear the drive and walkways, and chute clogging was a real problem. I finally was able to tax the engine to the point where it stalled, but you wouldn't believe how thick and heavy this snow/slush mixture was. I think a small 2-stage model would have bogged down in this slop as well.

I'm givng the new Toro good marks for performance. Most winters aren't as bad as this year, so I doubt if I'll be pushing it to the limit very often. That said, it's an excellent dry snow machine - with more wet snow capability than you might expect. The chute control continues to impress me, but the extra cost is a bit hard to accept. By the way, the chute did freeze up after use (as they all do), but I'm happy to report that it took very little effort to break it loose - and the control still worked smoothly. The crude feel of the engine still bugs me somewhat, but not enough to break the deal. Think I'll be hanging on to this machine for now.

If you're in an area than normally gets less than 70" a year and you don't have a 500' driveway to clear, I'd say this Toro will do fine as your primary blower. For the bigger snow, a 2-stage can't be beat - but this little unit is quite capable in a pinch.
This message was modified Feb 22, 2008 by oldcrow
MN_Runner

Re: Toro's new Power Clear single-stage models
Reply #12   Feb 1, 2011 11:10 pm
oldcrow had no issues blowing 26" snow with his Toro SS so he must have a superior technique.  Perhaps, oldcrow can share his secret technique so we can master it.
Replies: 11 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42