Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > using a snowblower for a plow

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
pie48

using a snowblower for a plow
Original Message   Feb 2, 2008 3:41 pm
hi all i am newbee i have a thought using  my sears 9hp snowblower for a temporary small plow.. sometimes here in buuffalo ny we have very wet snow and slush accumulation maybe just a 1-3 inchs but very wet it can not be thrown with the snowblower.. what i am thinking of doing is to put a small plow blade in front of it mounted with an easy to put on and take off connection and use the blower just to push the wet slushy snow my concern is if i could damage the traction system or the belts making them slip excessivily or some other damage any body try this? why it would not work? cause any damage? thanks pie48
Replies: 11 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
nibbler

Re: using a snowblower for a plow
Reply #11   Feb 6, 2008 7:43 pm
I would guess that the main problem is traction. I regularly spin the tires on my snowblower, especially if I forget to engage the auger/impeller so a straight across plow won't do much for you. If you angle it so the snow goes off to the side it might work better but I'm guessing it won't be that good.
borat

Re: using a snowblower for a plow
Reply #12   Feb 6, 2008 9:35 pm
I'm with Nibbler on this one.  A fixed angled blade attached with a couple of clamps onto the auger housing is what I'd use. 

I'd also use a stout plastic or rubber skirt on the bottom of the blade to reduce jarring if the blade hits a ridge or uneven crack. 

Start plowing in the middle and the angle would feed the snow to the sides in each direction.  Once it's rounded up, take the plow off and throw it.

Replies: 11 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42