Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower Help - Which type for a steep driveway?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
pbajaj

Snowblower Help - Which type for a steep driveway?
Original Message   Jan 19, 2008 10:12 am
I live close to Boston, MA. We get abt 40" of snow annually with an avg. snowfall of 5-6" with some more than 8". I live in a town house & dont have a lot of space - 1 car wide, and 2 cars long. But the problem is our garage is below the house and we have a sloping driveway up to the street. The driveway is pretty steep and if not cleared properly, my car just skids and cannot get out.

I have been doing a lot of research and can't decide between a gas powered one-stage, like the Honda HS520 or a gas powered two-stage, like a small Ariens: 624E or even the 824E.

My questions:

1) Is the two stage an over kill for a small snowfall of 1 to 2 inches? What do you do with a big machine in a small snowfall?
2) Two stage is much bulkier/heavier than the one stage, which will be easier to control getting up the fairly steep driveway?
3) I need to clear down to the asphalt which type will be better?
4) I don't mind spending the money once and having this with me for the next 20 yrs.

Thanks in advance
Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
elbrecht

Re: Snowblower Help - Which type for a steep driveway?
Reply #2   Jan 19, 2008 10:48 am
pbajaj wrote:
I live close to Boston, MA. We get abt 40" of snow annually with an avg. snowfall of 5-6" with some more than 8". I live in a town house & dont have a lot of space - 1 car wide, and 2 cars long.

Personally, I think you have a good situation for a good electric single stage.   I like my Toro 1800 Power Curve. [#38025]

You'll be storing it in your basement, in effect, and this eliminates the worries of gas cans and gas tanks in your house.    Make sure you have a GFCI outlet handy- buy a decent cord, a spare auger, blade and skids, and you're good to go for a few years.  when you're done using it- dry it off- give it a shot of WD40 and hang it up on a hook in the garage. a year later- just take it down and go.  [the spare auger, blades and skids are because the auger & blade are plastic-- I've managed to break each by being stupid.   Dealers don't stock parts for these things, so I order from Jack's online, keep a kit ready, - and get back in business in 20 minutes.]

If you insist on gas, a single stage would still be your best bet.   They clean closer to the pavement, and for up to 5-6inches snow they can be faster than a 2 stage.   Also for wet snow, in my experience a single stage tosses it further than a 2 stage.    

I did my 2 car wide, 6 car long, steep driveway with 2 large turn-arounds for 3 years with my 1800.  Near Albany, NY- about 100 inches of snow a year.  Last winter was worse than most & we had three 20+ inch snowfalls so I bought an old 2 stage Bolens to play with this year.    Still- 1" is shovel work- 2-4 is toro electric- and over 4 I get the bolens out.  [ we have mostly drier snow than you'd get]

Jim

Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42