Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > impeller kit...is it safe??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mikiewest

impeller kit...is it safe??
Original Message   Jan 14, 2008 9:07 pm
Why havent manufactures of snow blowers designed their snowblowers with a piece of rubber that touches the housing?Is there a gap for a reason??
This message was modified Jan 14, 2008 by mikiewest
Replies: 5 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
para

Re: impeller kit...is it safe??
Reply #5   Jan 18, 2008 9:50 am
You know Elbrecht, you may be right.

I was in there the other night and I'm not terribly impressed with the precision of the mechanism. The impeller/pulley/bearing has alot of end play and a little radial play.

The housing has a couple of big seams and I'm not even sure how round it is.

I was surprised to see how much abrasive wear has occurred over the years. I have about a 3/8" gap between the impeller and housing! I COULD weld something in there to take up SOME of the space (allowing for tolerances, etc), but I think I'd be selling myself short.

I think I'm back on the squeegee idea. But I'm definitely going to use elastic stop nuts to secure it. The last thing I want to do is have to tighten those thingsfrom time to time. I suppose once they wear I can flip them too.

It looks like alot of work to do though. Did you remove the auger assy to do it? Did you have to undo the rusty set screws holding the impeller on?

elbrecht

Reply #6   Jan 18, 2008 10:46 am
para wrote:

It looks like alot of work to do though. Did you remove the auger assy to do it? Did you have to undo the rusty set screws holding the impeller on?

Well, my machine is a 1976 Bolens so YMMV, but I took off the 4 bolts that hold the chute, and the cotter pin in the chute adjuster- and set it all aside.

I pre-drilled the metal strap. [I used 1/8 x 3/4 soft steel]   Cut the rubber with a sheetrock knife lubricated with pb blaster- water might work just as good-- but *some* lube is the key.

Then I brought up the first vane and vice-gripped a rubber in place with the metal strap attached.  The vice grip serves as a stop so the vane doesn't turn.  Drilled a hole with my newly purchased 1/4 by 6" drill bit. [with a drop or two of cutting oil it gobbled up the vane like butter.]   Put the bolt in- I used 1/4-20 bolts and nylon locknuts.   Repeated 2 more times.       On the Bolens the vane has a 90degree bend in the front, so I had to change position and drill the 4th hole from a different angle with a 12" bit.

Bolted one in- and burned it in.   I was surprised at how smooth this thing ran with just one.    I'm sure that for an extended period it would eat the bearings, but to burn it in it worked fine.       I took that piece back out and used it as a pattern for the next three.     Repeated the install & burn in process on each  rubber.

I am slower than slow, and I doubt I had 3 hours invested from the time I got home with the locknuts and long drill bits to when I attacked my first snowbank.

I should take the chute off and take some pictures of how they look after their first hour of use- and see if they change much season to season.

Jim

[BTW- for $30 I almost feel guilty for not buying the kit from Clarence at http://smllengns.tripod.com/ , but I had those paddles staring at me asking to be recycled- and we had a snowstorm on its way. . .]

Moderator Denis

Reply #7   Jan 18, 2008 11:05 am
I bought recently the impeller kit, yes it's safe and very good product to get, if you installed the right way its good for 10 years, the only thing is after its used you must replace with another new one or leave bolts in the hole heheheh.

Denis

krislu

Reply #8   Jan 18, 2008 9:04 pm
Snowmann wrote:
MW, It certainly wouldn't reliably pass the CE/EU stake test. Detachable components connected to the impeller could become instantaneous projectiles.

PK

Paul- What is the CE/EU stake test ? 

- Kris

Replies: 5 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42