Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower Tires

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
para

Snowblower Tires
Original Message   Jan 17, 2008 11:41 am
I have your basic Ariens 824 that uses Carlisle 'Snow Hog' 4.80 X 8 tires. They are OK, but sometimes they slip. I was wondering if there is another larger tire configuration that would fit on the same 8" rim. I was considering putting studs in them but the lugs are only .5" high....not enough grip for a sheet metal screw like used on ice racing tires. Another consideration is to use a larger diameter tire and rim that will fit the same lug pattern.....Has anyome experimented with any of this?
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
nibbler

Re: Snowblower Tires
Reply #1   Jan 19, 2008 8:43 am
Sometimes you want the tires slipping. If they don't then something further on into the traction system might have break to solve the problem.

I.E. You run into an unseen but immovable object ( rock, low wall, too much icey snow whatever).

You can generally get chains which do help on occasion. I've been contemplating getting a tracked unit for icey conditions, right after I win big in the lottery.
borat

Re: Snowblower Tires
Reply #2   Jan 19, 2008 9:52 am
Half an inch should be enough to put a 3/8" sheet metal screw in.  Remember you also have close to 1/4" of tire carcass under the tread. 
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42