Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Craftsman 26" track snow blower - Boxing day special!!!!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tanner

New Craftsman 26" track snow blower - Boxing day special!!!!
Original Message   Dec 26, 2007 4:53 pm
Hi all,

Lined up this morning at Sears for the door crasher special to buy a snowblower. They had 4 - 5hp Craftsmans up for grabs but unfortunatley i was 7-8th in line. One the four were gone they announced they had 3 'higher end' What I purhcased was a Craftsman 9 hp 26" track snow blower model # C459-527860. I cannot find this particular model on any of the Sears websites so I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this model.

Couple of questions:

Is track drive better/worse then the two wheeled blowers? What's the benefit to track drive?

I put the chute together and fixed the handlebars in place and wanted to move the blower to a different part of my garage before adding the agas and giving it a run. I couldn't move the blower. I checked to see if it had a neutral position on the stick shift but if didn't. Does anyone know how i can move this snowblower without starting it up?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Replies: 3 - 12 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: New Craftsman 26" track snow blower - Boxing day special!!!!
Reply #3   Dec 26, 2007 10:52 pm
Tracked machines have a certain appeal.  Visually, they remind one of a tank and they do offer a lot more traction.  However, as pointed out, the additional traction comes at a price.   Maneuverability is very much compromised.   I used a buddy's tracked Honda once.  Nice machine but the traction/maneuverability trade off wasn't worth it.  Traction is good but wheels provide more than enough.  I have a 110' driveway with a 10% grade.  Never once had an issue getting up the hill with a wheeled machine.  All of my neighbours have similar driveways and all used wheeled machines as well.  You'd have to  climb some serious grade to require a tracked machine.    
tanner

Reply #4   Dec 27, 2007 9:30 am
thanks fro the replies. As I mentioned I didn't know I was getting as I purchased it blindly because of the deal . I probably wouldn't have selected the track option however I'm sure it will be ok. I don't have a steep grade drive either.

Any advice on moving it while the engine's off?

Thanks

solara

Reply #5   Dec 27, 2007 10:06 am
DO A SEARCH FOR TALL man and his disciples. They own honda tracks and have built flat beds for their units.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
borat

Reply #6   Dec 27, 2007 10:30 am
tanner wrote:
thanks fro the replies. As I mentioned I didn't know I was getting as I purchased it blindly because of the deal . I probably wouldn't have selected the track option however I'm sure it will be ok. I don't have a steep grade drive either.

Any advice on moving it while the engine's off?

Thanks

I'd go to an automotive outlet and buy a sturdy creeper.  You can put the creeper up against a wall, tilt the machine so the tracks start to climb up on the creeper from the side then lift it the rest of the way on.  Once it's balanced on the creeper, it should be easy to move around.   I've seen good quality creepers on sale for a little as $20.00. 
This message was modified Dec 27, 2007 by borat
jt41484

Reply #7   Dec 27, 2007 8:44 pm
if u guys are so against the tracks. most tracks can be removed and put regular wheels in its place
tanner

Reply #8   Dec 30, 2007 11:40 am
Got the blower started up for the first time. It ran well however doesn't want to move while in any gear..... I'm guessing it just needs some kind of adjustment however I'm a little peeved that either I'll have to take it back for this (no easy task as it's heavy) or try to do it myself.....

I'm sure that is another downfall with the track drive.... any advise would be appreciated.

Dan

nibbler

Reply #9   Jan 1, 2008 10:32 am
There should be a section in the owner's manual on adjusting the traction drive linkage.

Basically the leaver at the operator's position causes a clutch to engage and the machine starts moving. If the linkage isn't adjusted properly either the clutch is always engaged ( too tight) or it doesn't engage at all ( too loose). Sounds like yours is too loose.

The other possibility is that the traction drive belt is too loose and is slipping, since this is a new machine its very unlikely. The Ariens manual mentions a 15 minute "break in" period for the auger belt. You run the auger for 15 minutes with no load, shutdown and adjust the auger belt tension. There is no equivalent break in for the traction drive however the belt does need to be checked every so often to make sure the belt hasn't deteriorated.

Since this is a new unit it should have been adjusted by whoever did the assembly. A servicing dealer will even do the auger belt run in for you.
djpehrson11

Reply #10   Jan 14, 2008 5:48 pm
Dan,

I own one of these machines and they are non-stop snow eaters, however, I replaced the engine with a 16hp!! and regeared it increasing the auger/impeller rpm by 40-60%. The tracks are tricky to get used to but they have excellent traction. Due to double reduction gearing physics you will not be able to get those tracks to spin in their stock mode, that is just the way it is. You will  need to do extensive drive modifications in order to bypass the gearing and its likely not worth it. I may modify mine this summer so that the tracks can be disengaged in order to push it around by hand as well as to operate the tracks independantly so as to turn on a dime, However, as earlier indicated you can make a little dolly with heavy-duty casters in order to roll it around or buy a floor creeper. I feel the tracks are very useful here in the deep snow of Northern Utah. If you use it enough you will learn the tricks and body english of manipulating this track drive around. If I can be of further assistance, let me know. Dave.

Gelid

Reply #11   Jan 15, 2008 2:27 pm
borat wrote:
Tracked machines have a certain appeal.  Visually, they remind one of a tank and they do offer a lot more traction.  However, as pointed out, the additional traction comes at a price.   Maneuverability is very much compromised.   I used a buddy's tracked Honda once.  Nice machine but the traction/maneuverability trade off wasn't worth it.  Traction is good but wheels provide more than enough.  I have a 110' driveway with a 10% grade.  Never once had an issue getting up the hill with a wheeled machine.  All of my neighbours have similar driveways and all used wheeled machines as well.  You'd have to  climb some serious grade to require a tracked machine.    

I don't know where people get this idea that tracks are supposed to be better on grades because that's not their purpose. Tracks are designed to provide better traction on slippery and soft surfaces, mostly in areas where bare ground is s eldom exposed during winter. Tracked machines are also less prone to sink in deep snow so they can be used to remove hardened/iced over accumulated snow layer by layer in areas not accessible to heavy machinery, something that had to be done by hand before the advent of tracked machines. Tracked blowers can also climb across drifts which is useful when one has to move the unit between clearing areas without having to blow through heavy drifts to get there. These situations are rare in domestic use so initially tracked machines were designed for the commercial market and most of them still are. People who whine about the price of tracked Hondas and Ariens should keep in mind that those snowblowers are overkill for the average homeowner and that like any other item purchased for the purpose of impressing one's neighbors, serious cost is part of the deal and that since those units are basically commercial machines ease of operation in a domestic setting doesn't come first on the list of priorities, these machines are more difficult to maneuver than most wheeled models and that's that, just like a bulldozer won't handle like a tractor. However when one really needs the functionality of tracks then one won't mind the extra effort that operating them requires.          

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
djpehrson11

Reply #12   Jan 15, 2008 8:22 pm
Yes, I agree with the previous message. Tracks are not as easy to control and require thought and consideration as to their intended purpose. I simply have "learned" to get used to my tracked machine and it's unique characteristics. You must allow and anticipate certain responses in performance. Simply put, mine works for me and does what I need it to do. It is I that has gotten use to it. It out weighs me and out powers me, I have learned to respect it, my house has the wounds of my thoughtlessness. Furthermore, I live on totally flat terrain. So, as earlier indicated, "hillyness or grade" is not what tracks are about. It's about traction. In low gear, I could pull my car if needed, however, my tracker is not at all stock. Thanks for the comments. Dave.
Replies: 3 - 12 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42