Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Used Honda HS1128 or 30" Craftsman w/ Briggs?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
colorspr

Used Honda HS1128 or 30" Craftsman w/ Briggs?
Original Message   Nov 28, 2007 11:02 am
I live outside of Colorado Springs and have a gravel driveway.  It's a flat and mostly straight 20' x 60' from the basement garage to the road plus a 20' x 200'  arc-shaped drive going to the 1st floor front door that goes up what's probably a  20-30% grade.  The driveway going to the garage has a 6' retaining wall on one side and an 18" retaining wall on the other so I think maneuverability will be important.  I also have a separate driveway 10' x 400' that goes to a shed that I may or may not try to keep clear.  Eventually I'll probably get a tractor with a blower or a skid steer, but the budget doesn't allow for that for a few years.

I can pick up a used Honda HS1128 for $1500 but I also looked at the Craftsman 881060 with the Briggs OHV engine that is just like the Husqvarna for around $1200.  I like the idea of getting a Honda because I would imagine I could get most of my money out of it if I sell it in a few years, and the track drive seems like a real benefit in getting up that hill.  But I'm concerned about maneuverability with the track drive and I've read a couple of reviews saying the 1128 is pretty slow.  The Craftsman seems like a good buy but I wonder if a wheelie will get me up the hill (especially since it is gravel and I won't be able to scrape it completely clear). 

I've never used a snow blower before so any advice would be appreciated!

PS - Locally, the other options are Toros, and Husqvarnas.  The only Ariens are at Home Depot and a dealer in Denver carries Simplicity and Frontier, but I'm not really interested in going 70 miles to get it or to get parts or service.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42