Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snapper Hi-Wheel

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Markman

Snapper Hi-Wheel
Original Message   Nov 14, 2007 7:10 pm
I have a chance to buy a hi-wheel snapper 26 mower for $ 300 from a guy at my work.       It is a 2002 with a Robin engine.  I cannot find many reviews on this model, but I have seen good reviews on the Robin engine.    The guy at work is not a handy guy, so he had it serviced by his dealer every year and now he is going with a lawn service and wants to sell.   He indicated that he had warranty work done twice:   wheel fell off and a slipping disk drive.  His dealer did all the work and he has all the receipts.   I want this machine because of the size  (I have 15,000 sq ft yard and it takes 2 hours with my underpowered 21 inch).   Need some opinions if this is worth a $ 300 experiment, or if I should invest in a new more powerful 21 inch in the $500-600 range.    

Ariens 1024 Pro, JD 160 Tractor, Lawnboy 10356, Husky 350 saw, echo wacker, craftman tiller
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
borat

Re: Snapper Hi-Wheel
Reply #1   Nov 14, 2007 9:26 pm
I tend to shy away from buying any machine that has been worked on.  By the size of your yard, I think I'd be putting the money toward a used rider in decent condition. 
ziggster

Re: Snapper Hi-Wheel
Reply #2   Nov 15, 2007 6:07 pm
I purchased a new Snapper 21" self-propelled mower in 2000.  By the end of summer 2003, it was done.  The drive disk was a constant disappointment, and had been replaced several times. The muffler bolts eventually broke off in the block and I could not replace the muffler.  I really felt this was a total piece of s**t mower, especially considering the premium price they command.  I was actually elated the day I gave it away.  Snappers of old cannot be compared to current models, as the company changed hands, like most other quality mower companies.  I would not even consider another Snapper, especially with the drive disk transmission system.  When they're new, they're fine.  When they start to wear, which is very quickly, you'll be pushing that heavy mower instead of the drive sytem doing the work.  Consider a commercial quality walk-behind in the 32" to 36" range with a belt drive system.  You can pick up an Exmark or maybe even a Scag for under $1000 and have a much, much better quality machine.  Another option would be a rear engine rider.  I have a John Deere SX75 with a 12 .5HP Kawasaki engine that is hands down the best mower I have ever had to cut in tight spots, and very reliable and powerful.  Much more affordable than a ZTR ,but with similar capabilities and much smaller to store. 
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42