Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > ariens 9526DLE - machine moves too fast for 1st gear

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cuseguy

06 Ariens 9526DLE Pro, and '91 White 522 Track-Drive snowblower, Toro SR4 Super Recycler mower (alum deck)

ariens 9526DLE - machine moves too fast for 1st gear
Original Message   Oct 4, 2007 1:38 pm
I just took delivery of an 06-07 9526DLE PRO and love the machine but it seems that it moves too fast in its low forward gears. In my experience, 1st gear and sometimes 2nd are creeper gears. Well 1st gear on this machine is a regular paced walk for me and 2nd gear is a downright fast pace and I have a long stride since I'm 6'. This doesn't seem right. The 2 reverse gears work fine and are not as slow my previous machines. Is it possible to slow down the forward speeds by changing the shift rod adjustment? Or is there some other way to slow this down?
Replies: 8 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
cuseguy

06 Ariens 9526DLE Pro, and '91 White 522 Track-Drive snowblower, Toro SR4 Super Recycler mower (alum deck)

Re: ariens 9526DLE - machine moves too fast for 1st gear
Reply #8   Oct 9, 2007 9:38 am
Nibbler, the skateboard idea seems to be the best at this point. I have toyed with the speed lever adjustment in every possible way. At once point, I "maxed" the connecting  rod and didn't even have a R1 or R2, which in theory should have given me the lowest possible speed, and the machine still didn't slow down. So, I followed the manual and reset the rod according to factory specs. Since "1st gear" is pretty quick, I thought I'd try the higher "gears" (I know they're not gears) Anyway, in 6th, the machine is downright dangerous if you arent prepared to take off in a sprint. I know its a transport speed and all that, but believe me, this machine is running WAY to fast. I don't have the equipment to check RPM, so I think I'm gonna talk to the dealer.  Haven't I heard of owners actually changing the friction disk size?
This message was modified Oct 9, 2007 by cuseguy
nibbler

Reply #9   Oct 14, 2007 9:38 pm
Changing the friction disk size won't help since its the linkage from the control down to the wheel that determine the position of the friction wheel on the disk. The only thing a smaller disk would do is allow the wheel to fall off the outer edge.

If you adjusted things so that you didn't have any reverse settings, I.E. even R1 and R2 were forward then the friction wheel is not going through the centre of the friction disk and F1 will be faster than if you have two reverse settings.The close the wheel is to the disk's centre when your are in F1 the slower you will travel and the faster the R1 and R2 will be going backwards.

Snowman once sent me the forward speeds for the Ariens blowers, they were:

The six forward speeds are:
6 = 2.81 mph
5 = 2.62 mph
4 = 2.08 mph
3 = 1.83 mph
2 = 1.36 mph
1 = 0.87 mph

The two reverse speeds are:

R1 = 1.86 mph
R2 = 1.22 mph

They are probably still reasonably accurate.

cuseguy

Reply #10   Oct 22, 2007 5:02 pm
Thanks for your help. I tweaked it myself rather than sending it in for warranty work and I got it set up nicely. 1st "gear" is much slower now, probably very close to figures you posted.  I actually took the bottom plate off while I adjusted it, so I could see where the friction wheel was contacting the platter for myself. Piece of cake really.
nibbler

Reply #11   Oct 23, 2007 9:15 am
The system is fairly simple and most manufacturers use the same basic idea, the differences are in the implementation.

Personally I'm hoping for six on the floor, positraction and a "big shift daddy" .
This message was modified Oct 23, 2007 by nibbler
Replies: 8 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42