Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > weight kit for ariens 1128dle ??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
TheKneebiter

weight kit for ariens 1128dle ??
Original Message   Jan 9, 2005 9:00 pm
just curious if anyone has put the optional ariens weight kit on there snowblower ? i noticed that when cleaning the eod that the machine wants to lift and i find myself lifting on the handlebars to keeps it down. just wondering if the $50 plus dollars for there kit will make a difference. i know i could put my own weight on there but i like to use factory stock looking things. im a little looney

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Re: weight kit for ariens 1128dle ??
Reply #1   Jan 11, 2005 8:06 am
Dear Knee,
There were at least 3-4 replies to this post yesterday, but now they are gone??

Anyway, I too have been thinking about getting this weight kit, and also perhaps a snow cab........although the jury is still out on that.
I'm waiting to use my buddies, maybe someday soon we will get enough snow up here in "snow free" Buffalo.

I do not know where the other posts went??

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
TheKneebiter

Reply #2   Jan 11, 2005 8:38 am
I think that everyone is clicking on the disappearing ink icon when they are posting. i did get a chance to read them before they went into nowhere land. yesterday i tried to cut an old piece of metal that was a cutting edge for a plow blade to make a weight but after 3 blades on the saw i dcided that i am going to just purchase the factory piece. i am going to order it today. ill let you know when it arrives.

nibbler

Reply #3   Jan 11, 2005 10:02 am
Normally riding up indicates that  the auger is getting backlogged. This means you either have to slow down or chip away at the ice its trying to climb.

The auger can feed a certain amount ( volume) of snow to the impeller. If you go so fast that more snow is coming in than  it can handle then you get a bit of snow plowing  on loose snow followed by climbing . Once what ever you are trying to process is "hard enough" the auger starts to lift the front end up. "Hard enough" can because of snow compaction or freesing. Either you are trying to move too much snow at once and need to slow down or  the stuff is too hard and the auger isn't breaking it up fast enough.. Serrated auger blades are supposed to help with the "breaking it up" part but I have a hunch they also help with the "climbing up and over" part also.

I've had frozen snow that I had to break up with a shovel and then use the blower to move it somewhere else.

The weight kit would make the front end heavier and the whole unit harder to maneuver. I believe they're added  if you get the cab option to rebalance the machine. Personally I think good lined coveralls and a faceshiled work better than a cab. Getting out of the wind is even better.
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #4   Jan 11, 2005 6:39 pm
I have a 1128DLE pro with the battery start. I also bought the expensive weight kit.  Seems like a lot of money for a chunk of metal. If I had to do it over I would not buy the weight. It is probably used to counter balance the cab which I do not have, and secondly, the machine is a bear to handle already at 318 pounds. In addition, I thought the cab would bang the top of my head when loading the blower into my truck bed.

One thing I did add which is nice is an on board trickle charger by Schumacher for the battery. Cost me $24 at Autozone. It sits parallel to the battery. A much more useful item than the weight kit IMHO.

If I wanted serious weight up front to prevent climbing I would think about the Toro Power Shift commercial series which automatically moves the wheels backwards to put more weight on the blower.

This message was modified Jan 11, 2005 by newjerseybt
TheKneebiter

Reply #5   Jan 11, 2005 7:19 pm
want to sell me yours at a discount ??newjerseybt wrote:
I have a 1128DLE pro with the battery start. I also bought the expensive weight kit.  Seems like a lot of money for a chunk of metal. If I had to do it over I would not buy the weight. It is probably used to counter balance the cab which I do not have, and secondly, the machine is a bear to handle already at 318 pounds. In addition, I thought the cab would bang the top of my head when loading the blower into my truck bed.

One thing I did add which is nice is an on board trickle charger by Schumacher for the battery. Cost me $24 at Autozone. It sits parallel to the battery. A much more useful item than the weight kit IMHO.

If I wanted serious weight up front to prevent climbing I would think about the Toro Power Shift commercial series which automatically moves the wheels backwards to put more weight on the blower.

newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #6   Jan 11, 2005 8:38 pm
Hi Kneebiter!

If I was not in the middle of my move to PA, I would take the time to put a package together and ship the weight kit out to you at 1/2 price.  BTW, the kit comes with bolts that are long enough to stack more weights! If you are in NE PA or in Northern NJ maybe you can pick it up or if I pass you way in route to Honesdale PA I would stop by. When you are selling 2 NJ houses, buying 2 PA homes, renovating 2 homes  and moving the contents of 2 homes you get pretty burn't out.

I visit this forum for relaxation.

TheKneebiter

Reply #7   Jan 11, 2005 9:21 pm
thanks for the offer. i am just outside of boston so picking it up is out. i was going to order it today but got busy at work. if you find time and decide to remove it and want to ship it to me ill take it. thanks again

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #8   Jan 11, 2005 10:34 pm
"I" would be getting them due to my drive one and two, many's the big storm I would battle with the Ariens 924 and my wrists, shoulders and lower back would start to ache the time of the storm and if I got another storm the next day.  I did not know you can add more or less weight, this seems like a good option as it would allow you to customize it so to speak for what works best for you....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42