Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help with Snow Thrower Decision

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
EdwardoKarochio

Help with Snow Thrower Decision
Original Message   Sep 7, 2007 12:39 pm
Trying to pick a replacement for my Craftsman single stage snowthrower that I am replacing due to difficult starting and since it is generally inadequate in clearing my drifts,EOD, and heavier accumulations.

Background:

I have an 80ft flat, paved driveway, appx 20ft wide and a bit of side walk to clear.  Although NOAA says my average snowfall is 24"/yr, some years we don't seem to get any and other years (such as last year), we get about double that, some times in the 12"-14" range.  I live in a windy area where drifts get in the 2' + range.  Storage of unit with clearing width to 30" is not a problem.

Choices:

Budget $1000-$1500.

Toro 826LE or 828LXE-I have several good service/dealer locations nearby (price $1099/$1399)

Simplicty L10530E-Having a Simplicity Tractor, I know the dealer fairly well-average as far as service/support (price $1499)

Ariens 824E or 1027LE-Dealer is about 20mile away, don't really know him. (price $999/$1200)

These were the ones I was considering, I see +/- to each.  Let me know what you think or if you need more info.  Thanks

This message was modified Sep 7, 2007 by EdwardoKarochio
Replies: 4 - 13 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
commanche

Re: Help with Snow Thrower Decision
Reply #4   Sep 7, 2007 8:50 pm
there is a sears forum available and it has all kinds of folks telling it about their sears and some are x employees who can tell you best ones to get and sales etc..do a search like SEARS LAWN EQUIPMENT FORUM,that might work, you get the point..

i used to be on their all time,they know their stuff..

i would by SEARS on sale,best deal..

i have sears 7.75 hp brigs ohv.i think its 26 inch wide..

it clears snow as deep as 22 inchs. so far..

if i had a lot of snow and deep i would get like a 11 hp one and nice and wide.

most snow we get here in pa is like 12 inchs latety and my 7.75 works fine....

MichaelFix

Reply #5   Sep 7, 2007 10:10 pm
The Briggs is prolly a better engine( since the B&S engine in question and Techumsa have no info on their web site it's impossible to tell ) but it's the tranny I'd be worried about on the Simplicity.

I'd much rather take a look at the performance curves myself

This message was modified Sep 7, 2007 by MichaelFix
EdwardoKarochio

Reply #6   Sep 7, 2007 10:32 pm
Hmmmm, I hadn't heard of any specific tranny problems with the simplicity.  What kind of problems should I be concerned about?  Thanks . 
MichaelFix

Reply #7   Sep 7, 2007 10:51 pm
For what ever reason I cannot post images.

What I was going to post was a review that shows the Simplicitys throwing distance isn't  where it should be when compared to other machines in it's class. That to me indicates there may be an issue with the mechanical advantage used on this machine

This message was modified Sep 7, 2007 by MichaelFix
mech12

Reply #8   Sep 8, 2007 9:28 am
toro all the way.  the auger design is superior to any ive seen.  it will out throw all on market.  no tranny on the toro.  just good old fashioned gears.  keep them clean and lubed during summer, keep rust to a minimum.     these have the tecumseh engines on them,  which have proven very good engines on the snowblowers.  im not a summer tecumseh engine fan,  summer engines belong to briggs.  there is a reason snowblowers for 50 years run tecumsehs. if you do go back and look at the simplicity,  which briggs and stratton owns as well as snapper,  ask the dealer if the specific unit you are looking at has had the recall kit installed on the carburetor.  they have an issue with staring on fire.  its service bulletin  #738.  if you look closely at snapper and the simplicity lines the are the same units only one is orange and the other red.
Moderator Denis

Reply #9   Sep 8, 2007 9:44 am
Probaly Mech is right for today's market, because some companys had change their quality and design not for the best sometimes, but in my book, I think Ariens blower are the best before 1990. Well thats my oppinion, and I knbow that TORO is a very very good machine too.

EdwardoKarochio

Reply #10   Sep 8, 2007 8:21 pm
Thanks for everyones input thusfar.  I visited my dealer today.  They've got 3 828LXE's in stock.  That's the way I'm leaning right now.  I'll post when I've made my purchase.....Thanks again.
tbone2004

Reply #11   Sep 10, 2007 3:25 pm
EdwardoKarochio wrote:
Trying to pick a replacement for my Craftsman single stage snowthrower that I am replacing due to difficult starting and since it is generally inadequate in clearing my drifts,EOD, and heavier accumulations.

Background:

I have an 80ft flat, paved driveway, appx 20ft wide and a bit of side walk to clear.  Although NOAA says my average snowfall is 24"/yr, some years we don't seem to get any and other years (such as last year), we get about double that, some times in the 12"-14" range.  I live in a windy area where drifts get in the 2' + range.  Storage of unit with clearing width to 30" is not a problem.

Choices:

Budget $1000-$1500.

Toro 826LE or 828LXE-I have several good service/dealer locations nearby (price $1099/$1399)

Simplicty L10530E-Having a Simplicity Tractor, I know the dealer fairly well-average as far as service/support (price $1499)

Ariens 824E or 1027LE-Dealer is about 20mile away, don't really know him. (price $999/$1200)

These were the ones I was considering, I see +/- to each.  Let me know what you think or if you need more info.  Thanks

I just grabbed a Ariens 926DLE - still in the box from last season.  Sweet machine...can't wait for the first snow!  - I have heard good things about Toro as well.  Either brand should last for 30 years easily.
EdwardoKarochio

Reply #12   Sep 13, 2007 9:01 pm
I'm still mulling my options.  I's also like to consider the Simplicity L9528E.  This was the model I was first drawn to.  Size and power wise, it seems to be in the right range for me. .....The problem is this:  The new models will not be equipped with the 9.5 intek engine....I'm told it will have a 14hp engine, but noone can tell me which Briggs engine it will be (intek or power built).  I'm looking for anyone here that might know.. I called simplicity today and the tech didn't know.  I know the HP thing is kind of arbitrary with these, engine type isn't.

Also after talking with the owner of my local Simplicty dealer, I'm feeling alot better about dealing with him.  I would put him and my Toro dealer on nearly equal footing..with toro slighty favored.

MichaelFix

Reply #13   Sep 13, 2007 10:09 pm
I don't believe Briggs and Stratton makes a 14hp PowerBuilt engine. They do however make a 13.5 intek so i would say that is your engine. It's develops 17.1 ft-lbs torque@2500 rpm

Jesus, that's a helluvalot of engine for a 28"

This message was modified Sep 13, 2007 by MichaelFix
Replies: 4 - 13 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42