Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > can't disassemble tecumseh recoil

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
sbro98

can't disassemble tecumseh recoil
Original Message   Aug 27, 2007 3:08 pm
I need to replace the rope on a newer Tecumseh 6.5 hp engine, which is attached to a Toro personal pace mower. Tecumseh repair manual shows a pin that has to be driven out of retainer on the recoil but I can't remove it no matter how hard I hit it. Why the manufacuturer didn't use a screw is beyond me but this should-be-a simple fix is driving me nuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated and my wife would be happy to get the grass mowed before it turns into a swamp.   
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Moderator Denis

Re: can't disassemble tecumseh recoil
Reply #1   Aug 28, 2007 9:42 am
sbro98 wrote:
I need to replace the rope on a newer Tecumseh 6.5 hp engine, which is attached to a Toro personal pace mower. Tecumseh repair manual shows a pin that has to be driven out of retainer on the recoil but I can't remove it no matter how hard I hit it. Why the manufacuturer didn't use a screw is beyond me but this should-be-a simple fix is driving me nuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated and my wife would be happy to get the grass mowed before it turns into a swamp.   

1. Pull out enough rope to lock the rope in the "V" of thebracket.

2. Remove the handle if necessary by prying out the small staple in the handle with a screwdriver.

3. Place the starter bracket on the top of a deep well socket that is large enough to receive the head ofthe center pin. Use an arbor press to drive out the center pin.

4. Rotate the spring capsule strut until it is aligned withthe legs of the brake spring. Insert a nail or pin nolonger than 3/4" (19.05 mm) through the hole in thestrut so it catches in the gear teeth. This will keep thecapsule in the wound position (diag. 16).

5. Slip the sheave out of the bracket.CAUTION: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE CAPSULE FROM THE SHEAVEASSEMBLY UNLESS THE SPRING IS FULLYUNWOUND.

CAUTION: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE CAPSULE FROM THE SHEAVEASSEMBLY UNLESS THE SPRING IS FULLYUNWOUND.

6. Squeeze and hold tightly by hand the spring capsule PIN16STRUT at the outer edge against the gear sheave.

7. Remove the retainer pin from the strut and slowly relieve the spring tension by allowing the spring capsule to rotate slowly under control, until completelyunwound. The spring capsule can now be removed from the gear sheave.ORIGINAL INSTALLATION WITH STAPLE INSTALL NEW ROPE BY TYINGLEFT-HANDKNOT LEFT-HAND KNOT

PIN16STRUT at the outer edge against the gear sheave.

7. Remove the retainer pin from the strut and slowly relieve the spring tension by allowing the spring capsule to rotate slowly under control, until completelyunwound. The spring capsule can now be removed from the gear sheave.ORIGINAL INSTALLATION WITH STAPLE INSTALL NEW ROPE BY TYINGLEFT-HANDKNOT LEFT-HAND KNOT

ORIGINAL INSTALLATION WITH STAPLE INSTALL NEW ROPE BY TYINGLEFT-HANDKNOT LEFT-HAND KNOT

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42