Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Is Kawasaki really that much better than Briggs & Stratton??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
lawn_novice

Is Kawasaki really that much better than Briggs & Stratton??
Original Message   May 21, 2007 5:16 am
Hi guys and gals, newbie here. 

I have been reading this forum a bit (esp. this thread ) and wanted to try and get some advice. 

I have been in the market for a smaller, less expensive lawn tractor for a modest yard and have purchased a Husqvarna YTH2242T, which comes with a 22 HP Intek V-Twin Briggs and Stratton motor, from a local, family owned dealer.  Having very little knowledge of lawn tractors, I had done some research online and initially come to the conclusion that the YTH1542XP was what I wanted.  The problem is that when I went to the dealer, I discovered  this machine was $2199 retail and I was thinking more like 1900-2000.  The sales associate mentioned they had just received a 2242T, and this seemed like a nice compromise at "only" $1699.   After looking them over, I could see that they were basically identical except for the motor, gas tank capacity (4 gallons vs. 2.5) and 2007 vs. 2006 design (largely cosmetic). 

Now, I know that most people who don't have to work on small engines for a living (lol) absolutely LOVE the Kawasaki.  Even my neighbor, who bought a "Husky" not too long ago after owning a couple Craftsman machines asked "Did you get the Kawasaki?" before anything else.  The main reasoning I hear and read is that they are quiet and start up easy, but aren't all mowers noisy with the blades engaged??  I have to wonder, is a 15 HP Kawasaki really worth $500 more than a 22 HP B&S??

The main reason I wanted a riding mower was to save time.  I have been pushing a 6 HP Poulan Pro with a B&S engine for seven years and it can take upwards of  3+ hours if the grass is long as I always bag.  So I ordered a 3 bin mesh bagger to make sure I can get through my job with around two to three unloads of clippings.  As luck would have it, the mower was due to be shipped this past Saturday, but there was a snafu with the bagger I ordered.  It seems the 2242T is not compatible with the 3 bag system (see chart).  However, the dealer I bought from says they think it will fit.  The bagger is due to arrive on Tuesday and they are going to try and make it fit.  Meanwhile, I am thinking of just biting the bullet and spending the extra money to get the 1542XP.  Or, I was also considering sticking with the 2242T and opting for the cheaper two bagger, but that would really defeat my purpose for getting this in the first place.

So my question is what should I do? 

Was this mix up with compatibility a blessing?

Is the Kawasaki really worth the extra money? 

Is the difference in HP between the two engines negligible?

I plan to own this tractor for a long time and the dealer is a small family owned business with an impeccable reputation and known for great service. 

Any and all advice is both welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks,

- Doug
This message was modified May 22, 2007 by lawn_novice
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42