Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman 247.888530 Auger Not working

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
pepsundar

Craftsman 247.888530 Auger Not working
Original Message   Mar 17, 2007 10:13 am
I'm a newbie to this site.

The previous owner left a craftsman 9.0/28 electric/gas blower Model 247.888530 which looks new. No manual. I struggled a bit to start it as it was very cold, used the electric starter then. It ran fine for a day or two. the machine wasn't used for over a year - i filled the engine oil before I started using.

I was cleaning the driveway yesterday which has a layer of ice and snow on top of it, the auger was throwing both for a few seconds and suddenly the whole machine stopped running.

I tried starting the blower - it started fine, moves back and forth, steering is also fine. But when I engage the Auger, it knocks loud and stops the engine instantly. I tried a few times and I could smell a smoke from the auger - so stopped trying. Engine runs fine - when i press the auger lever, it stops instantly. Also the electric start is dead, so I have to pull start each time.

Please advice.

Thanks
Sundar.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
nibbler

Re: Craftsman 247.888530 Auger Not working
Reply #1   Mar 17, 2007 1:10 pm
Sigh

First thing when you are a newbie on a site like this is to find the search feature and use it, this question has been asked several times in the last month and its getting a bit frustrating because you and other people haven't done your research.

Sounds like you have a jammed auger or impeller and the shear bolts haven't sheared. Find the jam, clear it without putting your body parts into the mechanism, it could be under tension and could move suddenly once the blockage is cleared and shear/mash/amputate anything in the way. If you're not willing to have it cut in half don't put it inside the auger or impeller housings.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42