I have purchased a bolens, 1978 I believe, the color is yellowish and one wheel has the mechanical wheel lock wingnut on it, I have so far repowered it with a briggs&amp;and;stratton intec snow 7.5hp and replaced the weathered tires. I have gone through the entire mechanical undreside of it as well. Then to no surprise the blower shaft bearing was shot which left it banging around inthe blower housing so while I went through the hassle of tearing it down I recorded some notes on my way through so here is 18 step by step info for ya hope it helps you!
1. Remove the drive belt cover
2. Remove the belt guides from the engine
3. Remove only the blower drive belt at this time
4. Remove the two bolts (one on each side)of the blower housing
5. Remove the chute control rod
6. Remove the blower housing from the power unit
7. Take and flip up the blower housing on the auger side
8. Remove the two set screws on the blower shaft drive pulley
9. Take a hammer and tap it lightly down further on the shaft to reveal the shaftkey you will need to remove
10. Remove the pulley ***DO NOT USE A PULLER ON THIS YOU WILL BEND THE PULLEY***
11. Remove the three bolts on the bearing flange dont worry about the bolts falling out these are studs welded to the bearing plate on the otherside.
12. Lay down the blower housing at this time
13. Remove the bolt in the center of the auger bearing flange on each side
14. Remove the three bolts on each side that hold the bearing flanges for the auger
14. Takeout the bearings and flanges both sides
15. Pull out the entire auger and blower wheel from the blower housing
16. Now you can remove the rest of the bearing plate and bearing
17. ****NOW IS A GREAT TIME ALSO TO REPLACE THOSE WORN DRIVE BELTS AND REPAIR ANY DAMAGE TO THE BLOWER HOUSING****
18. Goodluck and I hope this really helps you out, at least you can decide if it something you want to do or not.
This message was modified Mar 4, 2007 by snoman