Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowthrower tubeless tires have gone flat!!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ostara81

Snowthrower tubeless tires have gone flat!!
Original Message   Dec 6, 2006 6:53 pm
Please help. I am a new homeowner with a new problem for me. After storing my snowthrower for the winter the tubeless tires have gone flat and come partially off the rim. I cannot figure out how to seat them back so that they will hold air. I've tried oiling the bead and pulling a roap tightly aroung the circumferance of the tire, close but no cigar. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Tommorrow is the second heavy snowfall and I am late in getting this problem resolved. Sears wants to send the machine one state away to fix it, but I told them that it's snowing here!! My driveway is 100' long and I also have 36' plus of walkways.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 13NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Jake

Re: Snowthrower tubeless tires have gone flat!!
Reply #1   Dec 6, 2006 8:14 pm
Only thing I can suggest is...Take them to a local lawnmower repair shop. They can re-inflate them for you. You might also want to consider putting tubes in them. If they go flat next year, you can just re-inflate them.

Jake...

That's my story...and I'm stickin' to it..
mech12

Reply #2   Dec 7, 2006 5:33 pm

next time the unit is stored  try blocking the unit up so the tires are of the ground.  if the go flat they will still be on the rim.  also stop dry rot and flat spots

ostara81

Reply #3   Dec 9, 2006 3:25 pm
ostara81 wrote:
Please help. I am a new homeowner with a new problem for me. After storing my snowthrower for the winter the tubeless tires have gone flat and come partially off the rim. I cannot figure out how to seat them back so that they will hold air. I've tried oiling the bead and pulling a roap tightly aroung the circumferance of the tire, close but no cigar. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Tommorrow is the second heavy snowfall and I am late in getting this problem resolved. Sears wants to send the machine one state away to fix it, but I told them that it's snowing here!! My driveway is 100' long and I also have 36' plus of walkways.

Thank- You. Problem solved. I switched the roap for an extensioncord and walla it went back on the rim. I will block up over summer from now on.
emathey

Reply #4   Dec 16, 2007 3:25 pm
Today my husband and I discovered this wonderful site by putting in the above stated problem.    Instead of the extension cord we used a piece of plastic clothesline. My husband pulled the line around the tire (using a glove so he wouldn't cut his hand) and I applied the nozzle of the air compressor.  It worked like a charm!!!  Thanks!!!
borat

Reply #5   Dec 16, 2007 3:37 pm
I had a similar problem.  I took the snow thrower outside, squirted a few dashes of lighter fluid into the tire and a little onto the driveway beside the wheel then threw a lit match onto the fluid on the driveway.  It ignited the fluid inside the tire and popped that tire back onto the rim instantly.   It's not a process I'd recommend for everyone but it worked for me.   Too cold up here to be playing with ropes. 
nibbler

Reply #6   Dec 18, 2007 12:15 pm
Air leakage can be due to a hole in th tire but is usually due to corrosion on the rim. Tir rim sealant is supposed to help but it didn't in my case. I ended up getting a new inner tube.
borat

Reply #7   Dec 18, 2007 1:04 pm
About ten years ago, I had a tire that wouldn't hold air on my old Craftsman.  I lined the bead with silicon.  Never leaked again.    
oyugay

Reply #8   Dec 18, 2007 6:26 pm
sorry i have the same problem but i dont understand how you guys fixed it, can you guys explain it plz? thanks!
borat

Reply #9   Dec 18, 2007 7:02 pm
oyugay wrote:
sorry i have the same problem but i dont understand how you guys fixed it, can you guys explain it plz? thanks!

Separate tire bead from rim.  Apply liberal coat of silicon on both beads.   Re-inflate tire. 

If the tire still leaks, check your tire for holes and check the valve and valve stem.  If it still leaks,  Take the wheel off, inflate it with at least 20 psi and submerge the whole wheel in water.  Look for bubbles.  Find the source of bubbles then proceed toward fixing the problem.  You may even have a defective rim.  The submersion leak test will let you know if you do.  

kman9152

Reply #10   Dec 28, 2010 3:50 pm
thanks for info about using an extention cord. I used one of those self ratcheting nylon strap downs and was able to do it  myself. i just put the nylon strap around the center of the tire and ratched it snug and put the air in.
This message was modified Dec 28, 2010 by kman9152
Replies: 1 - 10 of 13NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42