Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Buying a used Simplicity

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
RickJ

Buying a used Simplicity
Original Message   Nov 30, 2006 3:44 pm
Did I make the right call?

I've been looking at used and new snowblowers for a while now, and researched a bit on this site.  Narrowed it down to either Simplicity, Ariens, or new Toro.  Also John Deere, since they were made by Ariens.

I've been partial to Simplicity, because my 1969 Simplicity Sno-Away S7 still runs.  It's just showing it's age. 

So I found a used mid-90's Simplicity 860 with electric start on Craigslist for $400, and another used mid-90's 860 without electric start at my local Simplicity dealer for $500.  The one from the dealer comes with a complete tuneup and adjustment, and he offers a 30 day warranty from the first time I use it (first snowfall).  Both are 8 hp with a 24" cut.

I'm planning to buy the one from the dealer, mainly because of the warranty.  I figure if I buy the private party one I would pay around $75 for a tuneup anyway, so they are both the same price. 

Although if I want to do some overkill I think I can get a 10 hp with a 32" cut for around the same price.  I just don't think I need something that large.  

I'm in Minnesota, so we get a fair amount of snow.  My driveway is 2 cars wide, and about 2 cars long.  Plus I blow a path around my house for the mailman.  So it's not like I have to clear a parking lot or anything.  

Opinions?  Ideas?  Did I do the right thing, or should I have just bitten the bullet and bought a new one? 

1995 Simplicity Sno-Away 860 Snowblower, 2001 Craftsman POS lawnmower
Replies: 1 - 14 of 14View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 14 of 14View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42