Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > snowblower: how to remove the bearing behind the bucket

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cadwarrior

snowblower: how to remove the bearing behind the bucket
Original Message   Nov 3, 2006 11:57 am
I have a snowblower mastercraft 8-26,  I have dismounted the front bucket, removed the two pulley, removed the bearing holder, now the bearing seams to be jammed on the shaft,

How can I remove it?, with a puller?, it is supposed to be pressfit?

I want to removed the auger and the impeller and make a paint job, that's why I need to remove the bearing.

Thanks!

Replies: 2 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
cadwarrior

Re: snowblower: how to remove the bearing behind the bucket
Reply #2   Nov 16, 2006 11:19 am
Thanks for your help,

I bought a puller and wasn't able to remove it, So I decide to make a huge taping job inside the bucket for painting the auger. It was long, but makes a good job! I used Engine Enamel black shinny paint. once it is completly dry (after one week) this paint is hard like glass and cannot be scratch.

thanks!

AKAmajorxlr8n

Reply #3   Nov 17, 2006 1:29 am
Cad - Since you DID attempt to remove the bearing, I can't help but wonder if it is NOW damaged. I would have replaced it since you had everything apart. If you haven't reassembled everything yet, I would seriously consider changing that bearing. It could fail very quickly, and then you will have to take it all apart AGAIN, and then you won't have the machine to use for snow removal. Ralph gave you some good advise on removal - polish the shaft with sandpaper to remove all the rust & any burrs. The bearing can easilly be sliced with a cutoff wheel. Just my opinion - trying to save you some work...

Marty

RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #4   Nov 19, 2006 7:26 pm
Cad- Sorry for the delay in responding but I can only post from home. 

Like Marty said- If you tried to use a puller on that bearing, I am also sure that you damaged it.  It might not fail immediately, or even soon, or catastrophically, but it most likely will fail.   If you're spending the time to repaint it, I would spend the few ($5?) for the new bearing  and the extra hour of two to replace it. 

I would try again to remove and replace it.  Like Marty said, cut it off with a Dremel if you have to.  Ensure that the shaft is clean and burr-free and press the new one on using only the inner race. 

Best of luck.

Ralph

Replies: 2 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42