Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Voltage but no spark on chainsaw

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cerealdiet

Voltage but no spark on chainsaw
Original Message   Oct 26, 2006 9:39 pm
I have a Husqvarna with CD ignition. Haven't used it for about 6 months. Was working fine when I put it away. Now I'm not getting any spark with the plug I left in, nor with a new plug. I put my multi-meter on it and am getting AC voltage at the spark plug lead when I pull the cord. Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I check for continuity through the switch, I get a complete circuit with the switch ON and OFF. Should I be? Any suggestions on further diagnostics? Could both plugs be bad?
Replies: 2 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
cerealdiet

Re: Voltage but no spark on chainsaw
Reply #2   Oct 28, 2006 10:40 pm
I tried yet another new sparkplug...and nothing. I actually pulled out the switch this time (duh) and tested continuity, and the switch IS working. Back to square one. A short somewhere? Could it be the coil not sending enough current to the spark plug? I know very little about cranking electricity--Shouldn't I get an amp reading on the multi-meter when I pull the cord?
Jake

Reply #3   Oct 29, 2006 7:32 am
cerealdiet wrote:
I tried yet another new sparkplug...and nothing. I actually pulled out the switch this time (duh) and tested continuity, and the switch IS working. Back to square one. A short somewhere? Could it be the coil not sending enough current to the spark plug? I know very little about cranking electricity--Shouldn't I get an amp reading on the multi-meter when I pull the cord?

If you are getting spark to the end of the plug lead the unit should fire, unless you have a weak spark. Sometimes, especially with 2-stroke engines, the contact surfaces between the coil pack and the engine block can be contaminated with oil over time. I usually remove the coil and with fine sandpaper scuff up the contact surfaces. This ensures good contact between the two surfaces. Re-install the coil set the proper air gap and try starting it.

'Shouldn't I get an amp reading on the multi-meter when I pull the cord?'  ...I do a quick test for spark by grounding the spark plug to the engine block with the ignition switch on. I look for a bright bluish spark. If the spark looks weak I'll troubleshoot it by changing the plug then move onto the coil / engine ground contact as explained above.

hope this helps.

Jake

That's my story...and I'm stickin' to it..
AKAmajorxlr8n

Reply #4   Nov 3, 2006 1:27 am
You can clean everything, but in the end you WILL end up replacing the coil. Well documented problem on these saws...

Jake - Can you explain to us all how oil gets under two pieces of metal bolted tightly together? Then you also have the threads from the bolts providing an electrical path. Cmon...

Marty FORMERLY MAJORXLR8N

Replies: 2 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42