Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 6.5 hp, 22" Sears Craftsman mower won't start

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
A0007720

6.5 hp, 22" Sears Craftsman mower won't start
Original Message   Oct 1, 2006 9:59 am
It's Steve writing.  Could you please help me with a mower issue.

My 6.5 hp, 22" Sears Craftsman mower won't start (part no 917.377574).  The engine is an "Eager 1"  
I have already:

1.  Replaced plug with correct plug.
2.  Replaced air filter.
3.  Emptied all oil & put in new, fresh oil.

The mower is a 4-cycle, but has a "push bulb" to get gas into the carb prior to starting.  So I'm not sure if using starter fluid would help.

There is no fuel filter that I can see in order to change.

2 weeks ago I was cutting the grass, then stopped to take a break.  It wouldn't restart.  I waited about 2 hours & eventually I got it restarted.

1 week ago it was very difficult to start.  Once I got it started, for the 1st 15 minutes of lawn mowing I could hear the engine oscillating in tone.

The mower is a year 2000, given to me in late 2005.  I don't think it was well cared for by the prior owner.  I confess that I haven't paid much attention to the age of the fuel I've been using.  The manual says use fuel <30 days old.  I haven't done this & haven't used STABIL either.

Any suggestions?  Please tell me there are a few more tricks I can do before taking the carb apart to clean it.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42