Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Correct Spark Plug Torque

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
noodlerooney

Correct Spark Plug Torque
Original Message   Feb 27, 2006 5:01 pm
I recently purchased a Honda HS520AS snowthrower at 50% off at HD and the manual says for a new spark plug to tighten after base contact 1/2 turn, for used spark plug 1/8 - 1/4 turn after base contact.  I rather have a torque specification, and for the lack of one, I went with 13 ft-lbs.  Isn't there a general torque specification for small engines?  I'm used to wrenching on cars and they always have a torque specification for everything (that's where I got the 13 ft-lbs, from my Honda I4 87 CRX/DX D15A2 engine).
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Moderator Denis

Re: Correct Spark Plug Torque
Reply #1   Mar 2, 2006 12:44 am
Hi, If the book says I guess, that's the right way to do It. Those engineers knows what they doing.

Feel free!

JohnEDavies

Re: Correct Spark Plug Torque
Reply #2   Mar 2, 2006 11:42 am
You can do it either way for most small engines. Using a torque wrench is more precise, but it isn't "better" for a small engine. A cast iron head ain't going to strip out.

An aluminum head..... you _should_ use a torque wrench IMHO - the consequences of overtorquing the plug can be a hassle, resulting in much swearing. Do I use a torque wrench on my OPE plugs? Nah....

http://www.ngk.com/charglossary.asp?kw=Plug+torque+settings

John Davies
Spokane WA
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42