Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens ST504 / Tecumseh HS50 won't start

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ofranzen

Ariens ST504 / Tecumseh HS50 won't start
Original Message   Jan 5, 2006 9:57 am
Hi,

My recently bought (second hand) Ariens ST504 won't start anymore. It used to be really easy to start. Throttle on 50%, full choke and three pushes on the primer and it would start on one or two pulls. It was the neighbor who drove it the last time so I don't know how it acted last time it ran but the neighbor didn't mention anything until he tried to start it next time.

Anyway, now it won't start no matter what. There's fresh petrol in the tank (maybe a bit too much). I've tried having the lid off the petrol tank when starting but that didn't help. The spark plug gets oily after I tried starting a couple of times and after cleaning it I can get it to *almost* start. A few puffs of pretty black smoke and then it dies. Then, the spark plug is all oily again. I checked that there is a spark and it seems fine. Probably time for a spark plug change but it seems wierd that it died so suddenly, no? 

When pushing the primer, it sounds and smells like fuel gets through but I don't know how to check the fuel line better. I haven't starting taking the covers off to check the eninge more but I was hoping to get some pointers before doing that.

So, any ideas?

/Ola, Sweden

Replies: 17 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
ofranzen

Oh, for Pete's sake!
Reply #17   Jan 24, 2006 3:30 pm
Now what...? I swear this engine is out to break my spirit...

I got the flywheel key and installed it. Checked and cleaned the magnets and coil core and checked the gap. Checked coil continuity, capacitor, cleaned the points and checked the gap. I could easily get a spark just by turning the flywheel by hand so I assembeled the engine to try it out. After assembly I checked if I still had a spark and sure, nice and strong and the kill switch worked.

So, I primed the engine and pulled the starter a couple of times. Third try or so I got a cough and then nothing. Checked for spark. Nothing. Changed spark plug and checked the gap. Nothing...

So now I have to take everything apart again and I'm *really* close to just tossing the darn thing into the pond....

Why did I loose the spark? What should I check?

Please help me again.

/Ola

Replies: 17 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42